Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Rotary screw won't stay tight - help? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rotary-screw-wont-stay-tight-help-t201505.html)

Yarn or Fabric 09-25-2012 04:18 PM

It must be a fairly common issue for Fiskars. I called to complain about my stinky cutting mat and asked about my rotary cutter which had the same issue... they sent me a replacement one which I have to admit I have not opened. I no longer use Fiskars rotary cutters for fabric though. I use them for cutting paper which I don't do as often...
Give them a call and see if they'll take care of yours. It is a safety issue and they didn't even ask a single question about mine. They had me take a picture and email it to them and they replaced it quickly. I received it literally 2 days later.

NewbieToQuilting 09-25-2012 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo (Post 5541147)
Fiskars will replace without any hassle. I had a problem with a rotary cutter and they sent me a brand new one.

**Great to know...Mine's doing the same thing.

Rubesgirl 09-25-2012 06:55 PM

I bought a Fiscars cutter in the early 90's and I still have it (couldn't afford Olfa back then). No problems with it, but have since gotten the Olfa ergonomic and there's a world of difference! I'd recommend the Olfa. BTW, the liquid referred to in the previous repliesis called Loc-Tite and can be purchased at any hardware store, just be sure you get the least permanent one so you can get the nut off to change blades.

GemState 09-25-2012 07:32 PM

Lock-tite is the liquid tightening 'stuff'.

Dolphyngyrl 09-25-2012 07:45 PM

Love my gingher, olfa would be my second choice

maryfs 09-26-2012 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Yarn or Fabric (Post 5541171)
It must be a fairly common issue for Fiskars. I called to complain about my stinky cutting mat and asked about my rotary cutter which had the same issue... they sent me a replacement one which I have to admit I have not opened. I no longer use Fiskars rotary cutters for fabric though. I use them for cutting paper which I don't do as often...
Give them a call and see if they'll take care of yours. It is a safety issue and they didn't even ask a single question about mine. They had me take a picture and email it to them and they replaced it quickly. I received it literally 2 days later.

Wow - even with no receipt or anything?? Definitely worth a try. I recently bought a 5-pack of Fiskars replacement blades (1/2 price at Joann's :thumbup:), so I'd like to be able to use them. I noticed that several people are recommending Olfa, but I'm not sure that I could use the Fiskars blades on and Olfa (I've read conflicting answers to that on another thread).

sewmary 09-26-2012 10:45 AM

A couple of things:
1. Once you Loctite your nut, you will not be able to remove it to change blades.
2. I finally got to try a Martelli cutter and it is just the greatest thing. It works well with my arthritic hands and the blades are super sharp.

QM 09-26-2012 10:47 AM

It does sound as though you need a new washer. However, I have made nearly 500 quilts and am still using my original Olfa.

OzarksGma 09-26-2012 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 5541066)
Yes, buy a new one! Make it an Olfa cutter, you'll be glad you did. :)
Fiskars = Chevy; Olfa = Cadillac ;)

Jan in VA

Better Yet~ Buy a Martelli, they have a screw that does not loosen as you cut. They are handed so they fit your hand. If you have a problem, they will make it good, I even had them replace a complete cutter for me because of a screw not being hardened and my using the wrong blade in it.
Fiskars-Chevy, Olfa - Cadillac?, Martelli-Hummer!!

OzarksGma 09-26-2012 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by maryfs (Post 5542754)
Wow - even with no receipt or anything?? Definitely worth a try. I recently bought a 5-pack of Fiskars replacement blades (1/2 price at Joann's :thumbup:), so I'd like to be able to use them. I noticed that several people are recommending Olfa, but I'm not sure that I could use the Fiskars blades on and Olfa (I've read conflicting answers to that on another thread).

No you cannot use the Fiskars blades on the Olfa, the Olfa's have a tri cutout in the center of the blade and are not interchangeagle with the Fiskars or Martelli cutters. The Fiskars could fit the Martelli, but they are a thinner blade and do not hold an edge like the Martelli blades.
I re-sharpen the blades and the Martelli blades hold up much better and you get more sharpenings from them.