Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rotary screw won't stay tight - help?

Question Rotary screw won't stay tight - help?

I've just started working on a flannel rag quilt, and while cutting the squares, the nut/screw on my Fiskars 45mm Comfort Loop Rotary Cutter keeps loosening. I managed to finish all my squares, but towards the end of the 130+ squares, I had to tighten the nut after every cut. Has anyone else had this issue, and if so, any suggested fixes? I've e-mailed Fiskars and received a message that someone will get back to me within five days, so in the meantime I thought I'd ask. Thanks!

Is the scew part plastic? Could part of the thread be damaged? Maybe wrap the screw with plumbers tape and put the nut back on? You may need to get a new cutter.

There is a fluid that opticians use to set screws on glasses tight. I do not know how it is called but my DH used to have a tiny little bottle a while ago. If you go to the optical department of your local Costco I am sure they would not mind putting a few drops on your rotary cutter screw. That is all it takes, a drop or two.

My blade wobbles but still cuts straight and the screw is tight. I have bought two other fiskars and I don't like them. This is the first one I bought about 1992 or 1993. I have cut out about 100 quilts, 10 or so biscuit quilts and 16 comforters with it. The new ones are just not the same. Some smart person decided to change them, I guess.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gramie bj View Post
    Is the scew part plastic? Could part of the thread be damaged? Maybe wrap the screw with plumbers tape and put the nut back on? You may need to get a new cutter.
    The screw and nut are metal. I'll give the plumber's tape a try - thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tashana View Post
    There is a fluid that opticians use to set screws on glasses tight. I do not know how it is called but my DH used to have a tiny little bottle a while ago. If you go to the optical department of your local Costco I am sure they would not mind putting a few drops on your rotary cutter screw. That is all it takes, a drop or two.
    Good to know! I'm going to try plumber's tape first, and if that doesn't work, I'll take the cutter to Costco's optical department (or see if I can find where to buy said fluid). Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
    My blade wobbles but still cuts straight and the screw is tight. I have bought two other fiskars and I don't like them. This is the first one I bought about 1992 or 1993. I have cut out about 100 quilts, 10 or so biscuit quilts and 16 comforters with it. The new ones are just not the same. Some smart person decided to change them, I guess.
    My cutter is from the '90s as well. I was thinking of just buying a new one, but hearing that the newer ones are not as good, I'll try the fixes suggested instead...

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Yes, buy a new one! Make it an Olfa cutter, you'll be glad you did.
    Fiskars = Chevy; Olfa = Cadillac

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post

Jan in VA
    And I've heard that Olfa replaces parts (washer or screw) when necessary.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Blog Entries
    Fiskars will replace without any hassle. I had a problem with a rotary cutter and they sent me a brand new one.
    Got fabric?

It must be a fairly common issue for Fiskars. I called to complain about my stinky cutting mat and asked about my rotary cutter which had the same issue... they sent me a replacement one which I have to admit I have not opened. I no longer use Fiskars rotary cutters for fabric though. I use them for cutting paper which I don't do as often...
    Give them a call and see if they'll take care of yours. It is a safety issue and they didn't even ask a single question about mine. They had me take a picture and email it to them and they replaced it quickly. I received it literally 2 days later.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    Fiskars will replace without any hassle. I had a problem with a rotary cutter and they sent me a brand new one.
    **Great to know...Mine's doing the same thing.

I bought a Fiscars cutter in the early 90's and I still have it (couldn't afford Olfa back then). No problems with it, but have since gotten the Olfa ergonomic and there's a world of difference! I'd recommend the Olfa. BTW, the liquid referred to in the previous repliesis called Loc-Tite and can be purchased at any hardware store, just be sure you get the least permanent one so you can get the nut off to change blades.
    Wendy in VA

If I had a dollar for every time I got distracted I wish I had some ice cream.

Blog Entries
    Lock-tite is the liquid tightening 'stuff'.

Love my gingher, olfa would be my second choice

Quote Originally Posted by Yarn or Fabric View Post
    It must be a fairly common issue for Fiskars. I called to complain about my stinky cutting mat and asked about my rotary cutter which had the same issue... they sent me a replacement one which I have to admit I have not opened. I no longer use Fiskars rotary cutters for fabric though. I use them for cutting paper which I don't do as often...
    Give them a call and see if they'll take care of yours. It is a safety issue and they didn't even ask a single question about mine. They had me take a picture and email it to them and they replaced it quickly. I received it literally 2 days later.
    Wow - even with no receipt or anything?? Definitely worth a try. I recently bought a 5-pack of Fiskars replacement blades (1/2 price at Joann's ), so I'd like to be able to use them. I noticed that several people are recommending Olfa, but I'm not sure that I could use the Fiskars blades on and Olfa (I've read conflicting answers to that on another thread).

A couple of things:
    1. Once you Loctite your nut, you will not be able to remove it to change blades.
    2. I finally got to try a Martelli cutter and it is just the greatest thing. It works well with my arthritic hands and the blades are super sharp.

QM
    It does sound as though you need a new washer. However, I have made nearly 500 quilts and am still using my original Olfa.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post

Jan in VA
    Better Yet~ Buy a Martelli, they have a screw that does not loosen as you cut. They are handed so they fit your hand. If you have a problem, they will make it good, I even had them replace a complete cutter for me because of a screw not being hardened and my using the wrong blade in it.
    Fiskars-Chevy, Olfa - Cadillac?, Martelli-Hummer!!
    OzarksGma

Quote Originally Posted by maryfs View Post
    Wow - even with no receipt or anything?? Definitely worth a try. I recently bought a 5-pack of Fiskars replacement blades (1/2 price at Joann's ), so I'd like to be able to use them. I noticed that several people are recommending Olfa, but I'm not sure that I could use the Fiskars blades on and Olfa (I've read conflicting answers to that on another thread).
    No you cannot use the Fiskars blades on the Olfa, the Olfa's have a tri cutout in the center of the blade and are not interchangeagle with the Fiskars or Martelli cutters. The Fiskars could fit the Martelli, but they are a thinner blade and do not hold an edge like the Martelli blades.
    I re-sharpen the blades and the Martelli blades hold up much better and you get more sharpenings from them.
    OzarksGma

I had the same problem with my Fiskars rotary cutter... and I just dealt with it for a while. Then I changed the blade, and I discovered the problem fixed when I, for experiementing's sake, put it back together the opposite way. It worked. I apparently had it in the wrong way for a few weeks!

Banned
    I've been using Olfas and Fiskars for years.
    I bought a Martelli several years ago and could not the hang of it. A friend recently showed me - and boy it's a great rotary cutter - easy on the wrist and the blade is the best I've ever used. I just bought more thru Amazon.
    I also recently bought a Gingher, nice hand, cuts well, but not as good as the Martelli.

Plumber's tape generally does the trick.

Blog Entries
    I had the exact opposite problem. I couldn't get the screw to come loose. I called the company, they sent me a new one. It took a week or so, but I was thrilled. I have an older one for back up so didn't go without while waiting for a new one to come in the mail. Love those companies with great customer relations.

Blog Entries

Rotary cutters

What is the best rotary cutter to get? I'm lefthanded .
    It seems that I have to go over my fabric several times to cut it completely plus my blades get dule very fast compared to other people that I now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast