Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Scrappy quilts, love them or hate them? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/scrappy-quilts-love-them-hate-them-t206280.html)

QultingaddictUK 11-19-2012 01:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by KathyPhillips (Post 5667832)
Sometimes people put the scraps in a large paper bag, then just reach in and get one, sewing it onto the last piece. That is difficult to do when you are a matchy-matchy kind of person, or one who does not want two blues together or two greens together. I love scrappy quilts that others have made, and, yes, they do seem old fashioned.

I got that idea from "Crumb" quilting from http://quiltville.blogspot.co.uk/200...bs-crumbs.html and made this, and a few others, lovely quilts for Project Linus, and me and the kiddiewinks loved them :)

cfmdesigns 11-19-2012 02:51 PM

Is there any consensus regarding what is a "scrappy," what is a "controlled scrappy," and what is not scrappy at all?

SouthPStitches 11-19-2012 03:01 PM

My vote would be for controlled scrappy. I have to have some sort of color order going on. Just can't put a pale pink nursery print next to a screaming orange batik. Feels like what nails on a blackboard sounds like, if that makes any sense to you.

squires1042 11-19-2012 03:02 PM

I love scrappy's they call me the queen of scrappy I put them together, the only time I change a piece of fabric is if it is the same color as the one I am attaching it to.

I love that I can take ugly fabrics and make them look prettier/nicer in a scrappy. And I like to make up a design as I go.

Sometimes there is no way to avoid two fabrics the same going next to each other but as long as it is not a constant I don't worry about it.

jcrow 11-19-2012 03:44 PM

I have never made a scrappy quilt, ever!!! I have lots of scraps and fat quarters and all different yardages to make a scrappy quilt, but I wouldn't know where to begin. I am taking a class and have to bring my own fabric, scrappy, and I have a huge paper sack full of all different fat quarters. I couldn't tell what would work together so I'm taking way too much. I am in awe of people that make scrappy quilts!! I would be overwhelmed, like I am right now planning on this class.

k9dancer 11-19-2012 04:08 PM

I totally love scrappy quilts. I balance the colors and values within each block, so putting them together is a breeze. Plus, I usually make more blocks than I need, so I can make changes if I want to . Or not!

w7sue 11-19-2012 05:41 PM

I haven't bought a pattern or kit in so long -- most of my quilts are scrappy -- I am in the middle of a plaid/stripes scrappy quilt that I bought most of the fabric for for $30 - $20 at a garage sale and another $10 spent on really nice plaid or striped shirts at Goodwill. I am in the process of cutting the pieces for the first set of blocks (61 of them) then I will hunt in my stash for two other fabric colors to make the connecting blocks - don't know if I will actually purchase fabric for that part or go totally scrappy - time will tell. I love the look of scrappy quilts and they can be given to anyone for any occasion!

Central Ohio Quilter 11-19-2012 06:13 PM

Not a fan of scrappy at all, although some of the controlled scrappies are OK.

I just do not like what to me is the messiness of the scrappies.

bearisgray 11-19-2012 06:43 PM

Maybe the 'definition' of 'scrappy' should be clarified?

To me, 'scrappy' means 'mostly made from smaller odds and ends of fabric that have accumulated - none were larger than a FQ'

I don't think 'scrappy' necessarily means 'random'

nstitches4u 11-19-2012 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 5664456)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]377179[/ATTACH]i love scrappy quilts- without them the scraps would turn my sewing room into a 'little shop of horrors' here is one i made one block at a time- a technique i use often
and here's one that i did - surrounding (theme blocks) with scrappy components to turn it into a quilt- i think both ways work out well- without worrying about too many of any one color causing (unbalance)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]377182[/ATTACH]

Love your scrappy quilts. Is the first one a flip and sew?