Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing Machine Repairs (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-machine-repairs-t36611.html)

BethD 02-11-2010 07:15 AM

I bought a new sewing machine a little over a year ago from an authorized dealer. Recently I started to have problems with it and it was also due for a tune-up. I was told it would take a day or so to fix when I brought it in...that was two weeks ago and yesterday I was told it would be at least another week. Is this typical because I'm not very happy with this type of service?

Candace 02-11-2010 07:20 AM

Ha! If you do a search on "going nuts" you'll read all about my saga. No, it shouldn't be typical but I just went through exactly what you're going through. There's gold in sewing machine repair, I tell you! :>

cabbagepatchkid 02-11-2010 07:37 AM

I brought 2 machines (my old 1975 Singer and a fairly new Phaff) in for a tune-up in November and was told it might take 2 weeks. When 3 weeks passed I called to see how much longer it might be. She checked and said they were still in line and she didn't know how much longer it would be :thumbdown: . I went out to get both of them the next day. BTW...this was the same dealer that I bought my Phaff from.

Since then I have become interested in and bought several vintage machines that I'm learning to service myself so maybe I will also do my more "modern" machines myself, too, since there is nothing really wrong with the Phaff.

Jingle 02-11-2010 07:40 AM

One of my Juki machine needed a new motor after making 12 quilts and it took 3 months for repairman to get the motor so he could fix it. It costs $390. You better believe there is gold in repairs, any and all repairs, not just on sewing machines.

BellaBoo 02-11-2010 07:40 AM

For shops these days I guess it's typical. I took my machine to a new shop that kept telling me it would take a few more days after a week of checking on my machine. I found out that the repairman (owner's husband) took a good part off mine to repair another machine and was looking for a 'used' one to put back on my machine. He said it was done all the time. ? The shop went into bankruptcy about a year later. Dumb bunch didn't realize quilters/sewers talk to each other.

Pat and pups 02-11-2010 07:41 AM

I went to my dealer when my machine needed a tune up and asked if the repair person could give me a call when he was almost ready for my machine. I explained that I really needed to use it until then. It worked--he called, worked on the machine the next day and I got it right back. I went in person which I think was the reason they were so accomodating to me.

Candace 02-11-2010 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
For shops these days I guess it's typical. I took my machine to a new shop that kept telling me it would take a few more days after a week of checking on my machine. I found out that the repairman (owner's husband) took a good part off mine to repair another machine and was looking for a 'used' one to put back on my machine. He said it was done all the time. ? The shop went into bankruptcy about a year later. Dumb bunch didn't realize quilters/sewers talk to each other.

Whoa!!! I would have went ballistic. Or taken him to Judge Judy;>

Quiltsbybarb 02-11-2010 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by BethD
I bought a new sewing machine a little over a year ago from an authorized dealer. Recently I started to have problems with it and it was also due for a tune-up. I was told it would take a day or so to fix when I brought it in...that was two weeks ago and yesterday I was told it would be at least another week. Is this typical because I'm not very happy with this type of service?

You didn't say what brand you purchased but how about contacting the manufacturer deriectly. They should know how their dealers perform

Honey 02-11-2010 08:30 AM

I am very fortunate. When I take my Viking in to the place I bought it, it is done in 2 days. I call and ask how busy he is and take it in when he isn't. My sister, however, lives in a large city and has been waiting for a part for about 5 months! She's afraid to take it anywhere else because that is where she bought it and she doesn't know any other repair shops. I think it is utterly rediculous to have to wait that long for a part. They wouldn't wait that long to get paid for the job!

Candace 02-11-2010 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltsbybarb

Originally Posted by BethD

You didn't say what brand you purchased but how about contacting the manufacturer deriectly. They should know how their dealers perform

I don't think this is an instance of bad performance. There's just a wait. If she wants a faster service there are other options. If I were the dealer and heard the customer complained to the manufacturer I "may" make the wait a bit longer! I've found I've gotten much farther with a happy smile and being nice.