Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing room vs kitchen table (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-room-vs-kitchen-table-t185669.html)

Butterfli19 04-11-2012 04:43 AM

Sewing room vs kitchen table

For years I sewed on the kitchen table and when I bought this house 14 years ago I finally had my sewing room. I had room for everything and nothing was in anyone's way and no one was in mine and it was great. Funny though, I didn't seem to sew as regularly as I thought I would.

A couple years ago my daughter moved back home and shortly after had my wonderful grandson and now that sewing room is his bedroom and I am back to sewing on the kitchen table. And I sew a little every day.

You know what? I love it! For some reason I like the kitchen table better and I have no idea why. Maybe because it's the hub, maybe because I'm in the middle of my grandson's room and the living room, or maybe I just love my kitchen, or it's right there and I can't wait to finish that project, or a combination of all the above.

Has this ever happened to you?

Stitchnripper 04-11-2012 04:46 AM

I get what you are saying. Sometimes when I tuck myself away I am less productive. I don't have a sewing room, but a room I share with the hubby's computer and even though it faces a window and has good light I don't run in there to sew. I keep thinking "if I just had a..." and when I get a "..." it doesn't help. so I guess what you are saying about being in the middle of things makes sense.

Lori S 04-11-2012 05:03 AM

Having a sewing room in the "activity" center does have its advantages. For me I need to be able to walk away and not have to pick up the mess.

DebbyT 04-11-2012 05:22 AM

I love my sewing room and all that I have added to it. I do feel isolated though. It is at the far corner from the family activity and either I have to walk away to find out what is going on, or I realize an invasion in my small room when they always know where to find me. I have had the same project on my design wall for the past 4 months, progressing very slowly. I have gone weeks at a time without doing any sewing.

Blackberry 04-11-2012 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Butterfli19 (Post 5132341)
For years I sewed on the kitchen table and when I bought this house 14 years ago I finally had my sewing room. I had room for everything and nothing was in anyone's way and no one was in mine and it was great. Funny though, I didn't seem to sew as regularly as I thought I would.

A couple years ago my daughter moved back home and shortly after had my wonderful grandson and now that sewing room is his bedroom and I am back to sewing on the kitchen table. And I sew a little every day.

You know what? I love it! For some reason I like the kitchen table better and I have no idea why. Maybe because it's the hub, maybe because I'm in the middle of my grandson's room and the living room, or maybe I just love my kitchen, or it's right there and I can't wait to finish that project, or a combination of all the above.

Has this ever happened to you?

You know, I feel the same way. Both of my boys have left home and I could easily make one of the bedrooms into a sewing room but I just feel more comfortable sewing in the kitchen. I use the kitchen table all the time. When it is time for a meal I just clean off the end of the table and we sit down and eat. After dinner I clear the table and put the sewing stuff back. My kitchen is on the south and with the windows it just seems so much more light and cozy. We have a TV on the kitchen counter so I have access to a TV. What more could I ask. I just love sewing in my kitchen. I am afraid I would feel isolated from the hub of family activity if I had a sewing room away from the kitchen.

elizajo 04-11-2012 05:34 AM

I don't have a designated sewing room, but I do have walls or corners in various places around the house where I have sewing machines or storage. I love the kitchen table, too. That's where I cut out clothes or quilts. It's easier to cook and interact with family when I'm so close.

nycquilter 04-11-2012 05:34 AM

after living in a NYC apartment for so long, I was absolutely overjoyed when we bought a weekend country house and I have my own room for sewing. I love it and can't spend enough time there. My DH sits in there with me, in a comfie reclining chair, the dogs are always with me too. I love the space, being able to walk out without picking up anything, knwoing it will be exactly as I left it.

littlehud 04-11-2012 05:37 AM

I know just what you mean. My sewing machine is in the dining room and I use it all the time. I can keep an eye on nearly every room from my machine so it's easy to sit down and do a little sewing. My son offered to move it up to my bedroom but I would be isolated from the rest of the house and I don't think that would work for me.

bakermom 04-11-2012 05:42 AM

for years I sewed in the kitchen or dining room. that is where mom's machine lived too when i was growing up. I do have space now for myself that i love to go to. noone bothers me there. This past winter DH was home during the day and I found myself sewing in the living room to spend time together. He's quite helpful, he will snip threads, sort pieces and remove stitches when i goof!

echoemb 04-11-2012 05:49 AM

I love having my separate sewing room. I don't have to pick up anything and if I don't sew for a week or more that is OK. I live alone so don't have a hub.