Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Sewing room vs kitchen table

Sewing room vs kitchen table

For years I sewed on the kitchen table and when I bought this house 14 years ago I finally had my sewing room. I had room for everything and nothing was in anyone's way and no one was in mine and it was great. Funny though, I didn't seem to sew as regularly as I thought I would.

A couple years ago my daughter moved back home and shortly after had my wonderful grandson and now that sewing room is his bedroom and I am back to sewing on the kitchen table. And I sew a little every day.

You know what? I love it! For some reason I like the kitchen table better and I have no idea why. Maybe because it's the hub, maybe because I'm in the middle of my grandson's room and the living room, or maybe I just love my kitchen, or it's right there and I can't wait to finish that project, or a combination of all the above.

Has this ever happened to you?
    Nancy

Just keep sewing!

I get what you are saying. Sometimes when I tuck myself away I am less productive. I don't have a sewing room, but a room I share with the hubby's computer and even though it faces a window and has good light I don't run in there to sew. I keep thinking "if I just had a..." and when I get a "..." it doesn't help. so I guess what you are saying about being in the middle of things makes sense.

Having a sewing room in the "activity" center does have its advantages. For me I need to be able to walk away and not have to pick up the mess.

I love my sewing room and all that I have added to it. I do feel isolated though. It is at the far corner from the family activity and either I have to walk away to find out what is going on, or I realize an invasion in my small room when they always know where to find me. I have had the same project on my design wall for the past 4 months, progressing very slowly. I have gone weeks at a time without doing any sewing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterfli19 View Post
    For years I sewed on the kitchen table and when I bought this house 14 years ago I finally had my sewing room. I had room for everything and nothing was in anyone's way and no one was in mine and it was great. Funny though, I didn't seem to sew as regularly as I thought I would.

A couple years ago my daughter moved back home and shortly after had my wonderful grandson and now that sewing room is his bedroom and I am back to sewing on the kitchen table. And I sew a little every day.

You know what? I love it! For some reason I like the kitchen table better and I have no idea why. Maybe because it's the hub, maybe because I'm in the middle of my grandson's room and the living room, or maybe I just love my kitchen, or it's right there and I can't wait to finish that project, or a combination of all the above.

Has this ever happened to you?
    You know, I feel the same way. Both of my boys have left home and I could easily make one of the bedrooms into a sewing room but I just feel more comfortable sewing in the kitchen. I use the kitchen table all the time. When it is time for a meal I just clean off the end of the table and we sit down and eat. After dinner I clear the table and put the sewing stuff back. My kitchen is on the south and with the windows it just seems so much more light and cozy. We have a TV on the kitchen counter so I have access to a TV. What more could I ask. I just love sewing in my kitchen. I am afraid I would feel isolated from the hub of family activity if I had a sewing room away from the kitchen.

I don't have a designated sewing room, but I do have walls or corners in various places around the house where I have sewing machines or storage. I love the kitchen table, too. That's where I cut out clothes or quilts. It's easier to cook and interact with family when I'm so close.
    Elizabeth

after living in a NYC apartment for so long, I was absolutely overjoyed when we bought a weekend country house and I have my own room for sewing. I love it and can't spend enough time there. My DH sits in there with me, in a comfie reclining chair, the dogs are always with me too. I love the space, being able to walk out without picking up anything, knwoing it will be exactly as I left it.

I know just what you mean. My sewing machine is in the dining room and I use it all the time. I can keep an eye on nearly every room from my machine so it's easy to sit down and do a little sewing. My son offered to move it up to my bedroom but I would be isolated from the rest of the house and I don't think that would work for me.

Quilting is my therapy

for years I sewed in the kitchen or dining room. that is where mom's machine lived too when i was growing up. I do have space now for myself that i love to go to. noone bothers me there. This past winter DH was home during the day and I found myself sewing in the living room to spend time together. He's quite helpful, he will snip threads, sort pieces and remove stitches when i goof!

I love having my separate sewing room. I don't have to pick up anything and if I don't sew for a week or more that is OK. I live alone so don't have a hub.

It is harder for me to sew in my sewing room. I thought it would work well for me and was very excited to put a table in there and leave the machine set up all the time. To go in there was away from everyone and everything and I spent less time in there. When I sew in the dining room and I can cook and sew, or have friends over and sew. DH has his laptop in the dining room also so we spend more time together.

I have to be in the hub of the house. We don't have enough bedrooms for me to have a dedicated sewing room but if I did I don't think I would want one. Everything is right around me and I don't feel the need to get away, despite the boys fighting I enjoy the sounds for a few minutes at least.

I understand exactly what you mean. For a while I had sewing machines set up in my bedroom and that just didn't work well for me because I hated the isolation. Now I have a sewing room that is at the top of the stairs of our open concept home. I can be in there and hear what my husband is watching on TV. We can actually talk to one another without much trouble. He says, "Hey Babe, come look at this, " and I just step out into the loft and look over the rail.

The other advantage is that the mess is contained. But, there are disadvantages. I feel terrible this morning and just haven't managed to drag myself in there. I haven't set up in the DR since we moved to this house and I seriously doubt I would on our current table but I do still use my bar for cutting out clothing. It is the best cutting table EVER.

I love my sewing room, it keeps my mess out of the way. After DH retired and had his heart attack I like being close to him so I spend a lot less time in there.

I love having my sewing room!

I find my kids help me more if I am in the kitchen! I have burned a lot of food trying to cook and sew at the same time. I have learned to stop one to do the other. Or I ask my daughter to sew while I cook!

Right now I sew at a desk in our living room. I think how nice it would be to have my own sewing room. But then I think that I would be away from my husband while he is on his computer. So I might not like that.

Blog Entries
    I agree. When I shut myself off from the rest of the house, I do less sewing. I found that playing audio books kept me going without taking so many breaks from sewing. Maybe I'll put a TV in there, too, and see if that helps me from feeling so isolated.

I have a dedicated sewing room but I found myself taking frequent breaks and going into the family room to be around my family. My DH finally told me to bring the sewing machine into the family room, he said it wouldn't bother him. We have a second home and I have to sew in the living room there so I guess he's used to it. So I did and I'm so much more productive. I do all my ironing and cutting and planning in the sewing room and the actual sewing in the family room now.
    Thought for EVERY Day: You know all those things you've always wanted to do? You should go do them.

I used to sew at the kitchen table too. I have my own sewing room but also have kids in the house still and never fails when I sew my sewing room is the place to be. Guess my crowd just follows me...lol I think it's because that's where the Wii is!! When we move back to the states the chances of me having a sewing room again is slim for some time so good thing I like it either way!! I still sandwich, baste and hand quilt on the table though.
    *Rachel*

I sewed in our dining room for years because we never used it for dining. Then a few years ago we enclosed a single car garage and I got about 3/4 of it for my own sewing room (the other 1/4 has a chest freezer and DH's weight machine). I have floor-to-ceiling cabinets and a large table with multiple drawers. Plus I have my own TV with DirectTV and a DVD player. I love my sewing room!

However, a few months ago we had a major water leak in the sewing room and an attached large storage closet. Quite a lot of stuff that was on the floor got wet. Everything not wet got jumbled and piled on or around my sewing table. We'll have to sort and reorganize the storage closet before I can move all the stuff out of my sewing area, so it's just a huge mess in there still.

Soooooo, I'm back to sewing at the dining table.
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...B5F8C60F07.png
    There is no snooze button on a hungry cat!

Quote Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
    Having a sewing room in the "activity" center does have its advantages. For me I need to be able to walk away and not have to pick up the mess.
    This is so true. I sew on my dining room table and love it. Unless I have company, I can just walk away and not have to clean it up. Besides the table has more room to spread your work out.

I sew 2 places - my living room and my sewing room. Sometimes I like to be where everything is going on and sometimes I need to get away from everything and everyone. Works for me.

I get this! Having it right there would remind me, whereas, I actually forget about it unless I really focus. Maybe I should bring mine out of my sewing room. If I sat down just to do a little, I know I would keep going. Something for me to think about. Thanks for bringing it up!
    Lenette

Blog Entries
    I don't want family distractions when I'm sewing. I want my sewing room with door. I tried sewing in the dining room but it seemed I spent more time setting my sewing stuff out and then packing it all back up everyday. I couldn't leave it out, too messy for me.
    Got fabric?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast