Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Sewing room vs kitchen table

I love my sewing room because I can leave a mess and shut the door. BUT when hubby is away on extended work, I love to set up on the table and the mess stays because I don't have to clear the table for dinner, etc.

My husband and I have both retired in the last year. That in itself is a huge adjustment. The fact that for the last 10 years he worked away from home and was home on weekends, sometimes just once a month. So now the two of us are together 24/7!! I find my sewing room is a great escape place for me.

I have a small sewing room. I do cut big pieces of fabric with my large cutting mat on my dining table. It is often left on the table and just turn it so we have room to eat. I quilt there too. I piece in my sewing room and listen to HGTV on my TV. Granddaughter that lives with us, odd hours, usually eats standing in the kitchen, it is a small house everything centers around the kitchen and dining room, open area.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EllieGirl View Post
    My husband and I have both retired in the last year. That in itself is a huge adjustment. The fact that for the last 10 years he worked away from home and was home on weekends, sometimes just once a month. So now the two of us are together 24/7!! I find my sewing room is a great escape place for me.
    With you on that, EllieGirl. Same ole, same ole here! Love him, but it's a lot of togetherness after years and years of Navy then a job that took him out of town 3 days/nights each week!

hmmm, you've got me thinking here. I have a wonderful sewing room myself in one of the spare bedrooms at the far end of the house. I do not get in there very often, my fault. It's just me and my hubby, we seldom have visitors and the dining room doesn't get used. It is right off the living room (open floor plan). I won't be able to see the tv, but will be able to hear it and be closer to the hubby. DH is constantly hollering at me from the living room to see something on TV. I'm gonna give it a try and see if I'm more productive! Hopefully the noise of the machine won't bother him, he has a hearing problem and when there are background noises he can't hear what is on TV.

This is great, I too loved sewing on my kitchen table. For years there was no other option. We ate many dinners with my sewing machine sitting at the head of the table. But then when the project was over the machine put away, it would stay put away for a long while. Now I do have a designated sewing room. I like having everything at my finger tips and a work table and sewing machine set up right behind me. But guess what. I want to buy a portable table like SewEzi for downstairs in the hub of things or on the porch or where ever I fell like sewing too. I like to cook and sew. Watch TV talk to my husband.....sometimes. :>)
    I am a professional artist and I always worked in different parts of my house. It was getting to be a whole house studio. Recently I had the opprotunity to rent an art studio at a reasonable rate. It is a 10 minute drive from my house. All the big equipment went to the studio, the printing press, big easel, large canvases, but I dont go there as often as I thought I would. When I am there I can concentrate really well as there are no distractions, little mess to clean up, etc. I still like working at home and end up doing that quite a lot. Ideal for me, would be, to build an art studio right outside my back door. Keep my sewing room (which is a bedroom) Have a portable sewing table to do things like piecing and long seams that quickly become boring to me in the hub of the house and also to bring to my art studio when working on a project that requires sewing. A combination of both!

Power Poster
    I used to have my sewing machine and ironing board set up in the "dining" end of our kitchen all the time. (Except when we had major company - then I took the ironing board down) The ironing board was a "drop station" a lot of the time. There were six of us home then, so the table was needed for eating and i only used it for cutting things out - that was when I made quite a bit of clothing.

Then I moved things to the basement. Do I like it better there? It would be better if there were more electrical outlets so I could arrange things more efficiently. I still have to pick up some stuff because of the cats. The cutting table still gets stuff stacked on it.

One of our sons moved back home several years ago - and another son's STUFF is moving back. I hate the clutter - MY clutter was more than enough to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfli19 View Post
    For years I sewed on the kitchen table and when I bought this house 14 years ago I finally had my sewing room. I had room for everything and nothing was in anyone's way and no one was in mine and it was great. Funny though, I didn't seem to sew as regularly as I thought I would.

A couple years ago my daughter moved back home and shortly after had my wonderful grandson and now that sewing room is his bedroom and I am back to sewing on the kitchen table. And I sew a little every day.

You know what? I love it! For some reason I like the kitchen table better and I have no idea why. Maybe because it's the hub, maybe because I'm in the middle of my grandson's room and the living room, or maybe I just love my kitchen, or it's right there and I can't wait to finish that project, or a combination of all the above.

Has this ever happened to you?
    Same here! For one, my sewing room has become so cluttered with sewing as well as hobby items and home office things that I have to move out to bigger "pastures" to do my big job sewing, like cutting, quilting, etc. I do piecing in my sewing room but then have to move out to the dining area or to my mom's dining room table nextdoor (she is deceased and the house is still intact. Grandchildren congregate there after school until their moms pick them up. Last weekend my sister did her Easter baking in the large kitchen. I use the table for basting the quilt sandwiches and bring over my machine when I have a quilt to topstitch. Don't know how long we will be able to keep the house open, but it really is nice to have it now. Very comforting. We know her spirit is there with us. I'm sure she loves the activity-- especially the baking and sewing....and the little ones getting into her freezer for ice cream!

When I move one of my machines to the dining area here, I am in the center of things going on. Can even look out of the glass sliding door and see the goings on of the neighborhood. In my sewing room I turn on the little TV that is really behind me, but I can listen. While I pin or rip, I can swivel the chair to see what is going on.This is a good time to listen to a spiritual channel. I tune in to EWTN.

I can fully understand why you like being back in the kitchen again. BTW, our DD was here with a child for almost 5 years. What joy and happy memories they shared with us.

Happy Sewing! wherever you are!
    Last edited by GailG; 04-12-2012 at 08:38 AM.
    One step at a time, always forward.

Blog Entries
    I can definitely relate!! I live alone in an old manufactured home - on the same property as DD & family - and my kitchen is set up entirely as my sewing room although it is still very much the kitchen. L-shaped arrangement of tables, lots of counterspace, skylight - oh, yeah, I love it!

I can leave it all up if I want, ready for the next day, yet DGS loves to do his homework under the bright light. I look straight ahead to horses in the pastures, turn my head to see the TV or look out the front windows. Get a snack!

As a child my bedroom was on the north side of the house with another house very close. I felt cold, lonely and "out of the loop" so I'm a lover of light and bright! Would not like to have a separate room - upstairs or downstairs to have to go to. My DC was so happy when her son left home to be able to make her dedicated craft/sewing room upstairs. She confesses she has yet to use it - too isolated. But others love their rooms, so just shows how different we are. Maybe some come from large families and enjoy to have their own space.
    Anyway, don't know why I'm going on and on on your topic! Just wanted to say I understand!
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

I have the best of both worlds. We built a 12' x 23' room on the back of the house. It was originally going to be a sun room, but DH suggested that it would make a great sewing room. Of course, I agreed. It has 7 windows and a door to the outside which also has a window. Lots of natural light. It adjoins our country kitchen. There is a large doorway leading into the country kitchen. I can watch the TV in the dining area of the kitchen while I am sewing. Once I am up in the morning and the bed is made, I head for the kitchen for breakfast and then on to my sewing room. My computer is also in my sewing room so I just live in that part of the house for the rest of the day. Easy access to the coffee pot, refrigerator and bathroom---What more could I want? Lol

Quote Originally Posted by beckalou View Post
    hmmm, you've got me thinking here. I have a wonderful sewing room myself in one of the spare bedrooms at the far end of the house. I do not get in there very often, my fault. It's just me and my hubby, we seldom have visitors and the dining room doesn't get used. It is right off the living room (open floor plan). I won't be able to see the tv, but will be able to hear it and be closer to the hubby. DH is constantly hollering at me from the living room to see something on TV. I'm gonna give it a try and see if I'm more productive! Hopefully the noise of the machine won't bother him, he has a hearing problem and when there are background noises he can't hear what is on TV.
    Let us know if this works out for you!
    Nancy

Just keep going!

I'm so happy I asked this question! I wonder if we are alike in other ways?
    Nancy

Just keep going!

My favorite setup was in my house in Texas. I moved my DR furniture into the formal LR and took over the DR as my sewing space--we ate at the kitchen table anyway and the formal LR was never used. I was in the middle of it all, but still didn't have to pick up when I was finished for the day.

Blog Entries
    I live in two different houses... 6 months each out of the year. I Sew on a Pfaff during the summer months on the island and a Janome in the winter months (which are my most productive quilting months).

I don't have a sewing room at either house but enjoy the dining room table and the proximity. A sewing room at either house would be upstairs and out of touch... Although I do have storage for fabrics and notions upstairs and out of the way

I made a sewing room after the children moved out. My problem is that I prefer to cut out on the kitchen table. So I do both & love it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterfli19 View Post
    For years I sewed on the kitchen table and when I bought this house 14 years ago I finally had my sewing room. I had room for everything and nothing was in anyone's way and no one was in mine and it was great. Funny though, I didn't seem to sew as regularly as I thought I would.

A couple years ago my daughter moved back home and shortly after had my wonderful grandson and now that sewing room is his bedroom and I am back to sewing on the kitchen table. And I sew a little every day.

You know what? I love it! For some reason I like the kitchen table better and I have no idea why. Maybe because it's the hub, maybe because I'm in the middle of my grandson's room and the living room, or maybe I just love my kitchen, or it's right there and I can't wait to finish that project, or a combination of all the above.

Has this ever happened to you?
    I had the opportunity to have a humongous sewing room in the basement and opted for a little space in the front room where everything is going on. I face out a window and can greet the neighbors, watch the sun rise, wait for the mailman, listen to my books and can enjoy myself so much more where there is a homey din going on (husband calling, dog barking, phone ringing, you name it and I am still in my little quilting world!!!!!!! Love it to pieces up here!!!!! Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

Quote Originally Posted by mighty View Post
    I love having my sewing room!
    Me too. Besides it being my space and walking away and leaving the mess, I have felt like I'm in the way whenever I've tried to sew in the kitchen. I have a small machine that I use for classes and retreats and would love to leave it set up in the kitchen, but because of this I don't.
    Peace

I know what you mean. I grew up sewing in the living room the hub of activity in the home. I have my own room and love it, however, when fam is home I tend to want to be there with them, so I don't sew as much, but I do do hand work. Family is so important! Do what feels right to you!
    Love 4 stchen

I, too, started on kitchen table. Now I have a sewing room and don't seem to use it as much, either. What I hate about my sewing room, is I have a tiny sewing table/cutting table (L-shape) and no room for big projects. My kitchen table has 2 leaves which I can put in to make it bigger, so even king sized quilts were no problem. DH prefers I NOT sew on the kitchen table unless I sew then move everything back to my sewing room when done. I can see his point, I don't like eating off TV tables in the living room either. I guess we could eat in my sewing room....:-) LOL....nah, too small....So in closing, I guess I use both my sewing room and kitchen depending on my project.
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

I also prefer to sew on my kitchen table for small projects. If there is something on the stove, I can keep a watch on it.
    My husband recently retired and when I need, I can always escape to my sewing room and not be interrupted, such as "have you seen my this or where is my that"

Quote Originally Posted by nstitches4u View Post
    I have the best of both worlds. We built a 12' x 23' room on the back of the house. It was originally going to be a sun room, but DH suggested that it would make a great sewing room. Of course, I agreed. It has 7 windows and a door to the outside which also has a window. Lots of natural light. It adjoins our country kitchen. There is a large doorway leading into the country kitchen. I can watch the TV in the dining area of the kitchen while I am sewing. Once I am up in the morning and the bed is made, I head for the kitchen for breakfast and then on to my sewing room. My computer is also in my sewing room so I just live in that part of the house for the rest of the day. Easy access to the coffee pot, refrigerator and bathroom---What more could I want? Lol
    After reading each and every post, I have to agree with this one. A friend built a lovely new home and right off the kitchen in the back of the house is a sunroom. Windows on all three sides w/french doors. As soon as I saw it - I said that it would be the perfect sewing room! It would be the best of both worlds - still having my own sewing room but not being isolated.

As we have two in college, we have two empty bedrooms during the school year. I have partly converted one of those bedrooms (very small) into my sewing supply area I guess you would say. I have found similar to others on the board that I do not like to be up there to sew (two-story house). Even if I am the only one home.

So what do I do? Have sewing stuff on my dining room table (use that room about twice a year) and my sewing machine is typically on the kitchen counter. I am sure our daughters would say that having mom's sewing stuff around all of the time is a given. One would think they would have gotten the 'sewing bug.' They haven't yet!! bla!

in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)
    I think you have hit the nail on the head. I could have had an unused bedroom all to my sewing self, but the idea never appealed to me. I have the best of both worlds: my sewing room is right off the kitchen, has lots of windows, and my hubby sits at the computer while I sew. I can look through the room from the kitchen sink. But my sewing machine and design wall are tucked in the corner, out of sight of the dining area. I can be part of the hubbub without being in the middle of it, and without having to look at my mess from all over the house. It's perfect.
    aka Chicken McLittle

If it's true we learn from our mistakes, I'm going to be a genius!

Yes I get it! I also have a sewing room now but I think I actually quilted more when I used the back half of the family room for sewing. I think it's because I wasn't as isolated.
    Kathleen, a lass with a bit of the Irish in her blood and a whole lot of Irish in her heart

I know exactly what you are saying. I have a sewing room but have to get the urge to go sew. I don't get that as often as I used to. When I sewed on my dining table the project was out there in plain sight and I would want to be working on it. Then again it would also be out there for people to move and re-arrange, throw things on top of and basically set out to annoy me.
    Tammy

Life Is A Banquet and Most Poor Suckers Are Starving!

I don't have a sewing room, but would love to have one where I could close the door on the mess and have everything in one place. Right now I sew on the dining room table and have stuff stuck everywhere, so when I want a particular item, I am hunting, hunting and sometimes can't find it as I put it away too good. Even with my machine out I don't sew a lot unless it is a project I am working on so don't think that would be an issue for me. I am not sure about the isolation factor, but don't think I would mind that either, as I think I could concentrate better. Who knows. Plus by being on the dining room table it always looks messy!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast