Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Sewing room vs kitchen table

I can't even imagine trying to sew at a dining room table. It would mean getting out and putting away at least once every day. What a hassle!! We actually eat at the table and there's no way I'd want to leave work in progress out while people are eating and I don't want to force people to sit in the living room and eat in their lap.

I have a 2 car garage that is suposed to be my sewing/quilting room, I have bookcases with bolts of fabric and a cutting table and other tables. BUT - my mid-arm quilting machine is in the family room which is also now the "dinning" room and I moved a big 8 foot table there also and that is where I am now creating. I live alone but often have children, grand children, people from church, neighbors drop in and have guests for dinner but my dinning room table is also there and it is open with the kitchen. Everything is together and I love it. The fabric is still in the garage.
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

I have to say that I love my sewing area! I can leave things out, and not have to pick up and put everything away. House has a fairly open floor plan, so I can be around the family too.
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Blog Entries
    I have two empty bedrooms, and choose to have my sewing machine in the dining room--why? I like to be in the thick of things I guess. I keep the fabric and rulers, etc. in a spare bedroom..but still love to sew in the dining room!

I love to sew in my sewing room but I also love to sew in the kitchen. I often sew in the kitchen when dh is out because I don't like the dog walking around the house and I don't like to be isolated in the basement with no one around.

I have sewn nearly everywhere in my homes over time. I liked being where the kids were when they were little. I hated the mess and having to pick up and put it all away though. Now I have a real sewing room that is mine, all mine, and I could not be happier. My kids are grown and out of the house, so it is just the two of us now. I can go in there and create and my husband can watch his tv when he is home. He works nights so he sleeps days and the sewing machine would drive him crazy. My room is now on the opposite side of the house, so that works well for us.

Blog Entries
    Another Nancy feels the same way... I have a sewing area in the unused half of my huge master bedroom. Despite that, I put a spare machine on the other side of my desk between the living room and kitchen. There's no one else in the house, but I love being in the 'living' area.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I love my separate sewing room. My DH enclosed part of a large storage building/shop. He didn't use the shop much so he finished out about a third of it for me and I love it. It has 2 windows, plenty of light, lots of room for cutting and quilting, and plenty of storage. It has a AC and heater and Direct TV so I am perfectly happy out there. I can walk out and leave the mess whenever I need to.
    Texas Sunshine, piney woods of NE Texas

I like to sew in the kitchen to.
    I do have rooms enough to turn one into a quiltingroom but I also feel isolated there so I prefer staying in the kitchen
    greetz, fien
    http://quiltfien.blogspot.com/

I have a sewing room (converted bedroom) that I USED to use. I have a long-haired cat so I have to shut the door of the room and I feel so isolated when I am in there. I now use it as my "Stash room" and sew in the living/diningroom.
    The Trike Riding Quilting Diva

This thread has been interesting. Thank you for posting all your thoughts. We are empty nesters and I have always thought of having my very own sewing/craft room. I could have but the isolation and being away from the kitchen keeps me from changing dedicated bedrooms to 'my room'. Still thinking about it and all of you have brought up very good points to consider.

Linda

Sew little time and sew many ideas

I have a sewing room along with 2 spare "guest" rooms.
    My husband is gone (truck driver) all week and I work outside of the home too.
    No kids at home -- only 2 very rotten furry cats.
    Where do I sew...on the dining room table.

I'm alone all week and don't like the confines of the sewing area when I know I have the entire house to myself. I feel less alone when I'm in the middle of the house and can see the birds at the feeders and watch TV out of the corner of my eye.

We have a huge table so the sewing machine is set up on one side and the embroidery machine on the end of it. When DH is home, we sit next to each other on the "empty" side and actually visit while we're eating.

He will use the embroidery machine sometimes and this way isn't "crowding" into my space in the sewing room.

Since he is home only on the weekends, I can still choose to sew and be close to him so it works for us.
    Lisa L.
    Howdies from Possum Trot (yes it does exist)
    My most recent swap - Boomerang 16

Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    For me, a separate room helps keep the mess in its place. So cutting, fabric preparation, pressing and basting take place there. Piecing and quilting are usually in the living room, and sewing down the binding or adding embellishments are always done in the living room.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it difficult to plan the day.

Kris

I share my so-called sewing room with my husband on the second floor. My machines and cutting table are on the window side. I've also taken over the closet. His gun cabinet is on the other side and adjacent to that is his tie flying station. All four walls are covered with deer horns and pictures. It's quite the combination......I really need to take a picture. Talk about odd bedfellows!

That being said, my dog Stitches, now 17-1/2 is restricted to going up and down the main flight of stairs just twice a day, with assistance. If I'm upstairs without him, he howls and paces, so lately, I haul everything downstairs to work at the dining room table. Obviously, he has me well trained. I miss the tranquility of the "horny quilt room" and also, love the idea of just getting up and walking away at any time, without having to clean up. Most important though, is keeping peace in the family.

I have a sewing room in my finished basement, several years ago, I brought my sewing machine to my dining room in front of the picture window. I sew so much more now, and my sewing room is used for storage (all things to do with sewing of course)
    Dyan

Quote Originally Posted by DebbyT View Post
    I have gone weeks at a time without doing any sewing.
    This is what happened to me. I just didn't feel happy about sewing, it became a chore and I stayed away from it.

Quote Originally Posted by bakermom View Post
    for years I sewed in the kitchen or dining room. that is where mom's machine lived too when i was growing up. I do have space now for myself that i love to go to. noone bothers me there. This past winter DH was home during the day and I found myself sewing in the living room to spend time together. He's quite helpful, he will snip threads, sort pieces and remove stitches when i goof!
    That's wonderful! I imagine if I had a husband he'd do that for me too! haha My mom started sewing in the kitchen too, I had forgotten that. Then she moved the machine into this huge sunken living room we had - all that was in there was her old Kenmore and the iron board. We used to lay that folded cardboard thing down to cut out patterns with scissors and mark them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonbonary View Post
    I agree. When I shut myself off from the rest of the house, I do less sewing. I found that playing audio books kept me going without taking so many breaks from sewing. Maybe I'll put a TV in there, too, and see if that helps me from feeling so isolated.
    You can try the tv but it's just fake people (I tried that too.) I found that I didn't even enjoy the shows I enjoyed in that room. Funny, huh?

I spend a lot of time in the kitchen and so do my kids and their friends. When family comes over they are in the kitchen. There must be some good karma in there, sharing love and memories, laughter and tears, over the years.
    Nancy

Just keep going!

I started out on a dining room table. Then got a wonderful little sewing room after my son moved out. Last month I had to move/downsize due to divorce. I just moved to a tiny apt and really it is not so bad just having the one table. The important part is quilting...not where you quilt...a fancy studio or a tiny table...just the act of doing.

I sew at my dining room table and enjoy being around my family.

I don't think I would like being alone in a bedroom.
    "Be brave enough to be who you really are.

I do have a 'studio.' However, I have to have my sewing cabinet facing the living room so I can see the TV or whatever. I found I don't sew as much when I face a wall or a window. I need to face the rest of my home. I have a beautiful Chinese screen that I can always put across my studio door if I don't want others to see my creativity in progress.

ali
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

Well I understand completely. I do not have a sewing room, and so I just made the in-eat kitchen area my sewing room. We seldom sat down there for dinner, since our children are grown. We usually sit in the living room and enjoy dinner. We have done that for years now. So that area in the kitchen was wasted space. But it is not now. I have taken it over. When we have company we have a large table we set up in the living room (our living room is one of those large great rooms) and we all sit down there to eat. There would not be enough room in the kitchen to fit all our family anyway! So I have my sewing room, its right there in the kitchen!! And I have made it my own little sewing room : )
    Amythyst

I am a snowbird in Florida for the winter and I can't wait to get home this spring to my little hide-away sewing room. The dining room table all winter was fine but picking up, putting away and just getting everything organized after each sewing session is more that I bargained for....get me back to my own little sewing haven!!!!!

I love being with family, so for me I'd love a sewing room to store fabric and such where I could see what I have, but I'd rather sew where I can chat with the family, get DH coffee as needed, etc. I'm not a big TV fan, but DH likes to watch & I listen while I sew. He's gotten used to the ticker, ticker, ticker & it doesn't bother him, plus he likes to watch what I'm doing & it even spurs his creativity someties. :-)
    Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply,Speak Kindly, Leave the rest to GOD

My first sewing area was in the middle of the living room and eventually my creative 'mess' wasn't appreciated; then I moved to the basement and I hated being there; then I moved to a small area off of our family room and that worked fine as I was in the midst of everyone and everything but the area was too small. Last year, we did some shuffling and I took over a spare bedroom upstairs and it's my favorite place to sew!! My mess is contained and I have all the comforts of sewing! I did include a comfy rocking chair so my family can come and sit comfortably and we can visit in my sewing room! The downside of it all is that I now realize I have way too much stash for my own good!!

Blog Entries
    I never have sewn on the kitchen table - I used to sew in the bedroom, first the master bedroom, and then when the kids left home, in their room with the bedroom set up as a bedroom. Now, in our retirement (ha), we built this home with a sewing/computer room upstairs, and I love it. I work in real estate and my husband stays home, I am glad to be somewhere alone. He has turned into Mr. Mom, he follows me around with a dust buster to suck up threads and stray snips. I don't like visual messes, so I keep my tiny space kinda picked up. I love my "studio" , I am away from the TV (turned on to every car renovation, gun, history program at night). It is mine - all mine. (well he does use the computer)
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

I have a sewing room but sometimes go back to my dining room just because it is brighter & I feel more inspired!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast