Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Should I teach my husband to quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/should-i-teach-my-husband-quilt-t177706.html)

BellaBoo 01-31-2012 09:08 PM

I have no desire for my DH to get involved with my quilting. If he came to my sewing room and started asking about this and that and going through what I have I'd be frustrated to no end.

Grandma58 01-31-2012 09:11 PM

Teach him, if it becomes impossible, move him to his own room.

breezyquilts 01-31-2012 09:25 PM

If he is interested, why not??? Think of the fun you will have together!!

GrannieAnnie 01-31-2012 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Dina (Post 4930375)
I think it is a great idea. I wish my husband quilted. He supports what I do, but it would be fun if he quilted too.

Dina

I'd appreciate a nice word about anything I sew. It's all a bother to my hubby.

paulettepoe 01-31-2012 10:17 PM

Absolutely teach him. Men are natural engineers. and some of the best quilters are men I think. Tell him, there is a chiropractor in Flint Michigan, Dr. Myler, his quilting is outstanding. I look forward to you posting his first project.

Silver Needle 01-31-2012 10:43 PM

It depends on the dynamics of your relationship. My husband and I do nearly everything together. We farm and when we pick corn, I drive the combine, he hauls the wagons etc. etc. We eat 2 meals together everyday. NOT breakfast, I'm so not a morning person. He didn't have any hobbies either. When I fell in love with quilting he came along too. Now we have a long arm, a website and are developing the quilting as a business for retirement $$. That's provided he ever quits farming.

We know other couples who get along much better with as little time spent together as possible. Consider your relationship and go forward from there.

Annaquilts 01-31-2012 11:14 PM

I would. People that have hobbies live longer and are happier. Maybe he can have his own stuff and corner or space. Maybe you can have a comon stash and some that is your own. I am sure you will have to give too but in the long run it will be so worth it.

AnnieH 02-01-2012 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by jcrow (Post 4930311)
so I put the bug in his ear. ea?

Love this expression, never heard it before.
Annie

titute01 02-01-2012 03:36 AM

my husband quilts. he loves it. bought me a longarm with qbot. he helped me learn to run that now he runs it and i piece.

mlsa 02-01-2012 05:47 AM

I say let him try a small sampler and see how he likes it. I'm one of those guys that likes to try different things. I get bored pretty easily so I just do something else for a while and then come back to the other after a while.

My wife and I took a beginners quilting class about 10 years ago. We then seperately took a block of the month class and I was the only guy in my group...didn't bother me at all. BUT....my wife does NOT like to share her toys with anyone so she has her sewing room and I have mine. She was using a 30 year old Singer until I bought my new Bernina 153 QE and now she has one. She doesn't quilt anymore because she is into knitting.

I retired 6 months ago and now my goal is to do all the quilting and woodworking I can. I've made 3 quilts in that 6 months. As my wife says I also have my MANLY hobbies.....I have a bass boat, camp, I travel on my motorcycle towing my camper, I do woodwork where I make dulcimers and autoharps....I DON'T PLAN on getting bored.

This was a long way to say TEACH HIM IF HE'S INTERESTED. Set him up his own room and go slow to see if he's serious with it.

David