Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Stash (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/stash-t39891.html)

elliemay 03-18-2010 06:55 AM

This may have been a topic before, but... do you all have nice tidy sewing rooms?. where do you keep your stash of fabrics?, do you ' hide' that new fabric, you just couldnt resist?? i have been buying boxes and baskets to organise my stuff.. labelled as well.. at least i can find things now... only got small space for my sewing.... :cry:

cminor 03-18-2010 07:49 AM

I only started maybe 6 months ago and I have to say - I totally hide the new stuff! I have a big 3 drawer rolling thing that is just packed full. When we painted the living room where I kept my sewing stuff, I thought the rollers were broken. DH reminded me it is becuase each drawer is stuffed full of fabric - and it's not light :)

Chasing Hawk 03-18-2010 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by elliemay
This may have been a topic before, but... do you all have nice tidy sewing rooms?. where do you keep your stash of fabrics?, do you ' hide' that new fabric, you just couldnt resist?? i have been buying boxes and baskets to organise my stuff.. labelled as well.. at least i can find things now... only got small space for my sewing.... :cry:

I keep mine out where I can see them, I have two shelf units in my closet, a shelf hanging on the wall and fabric laying on my cutting table. I can't figure out why some feel the need to "hide" the fabric they buy, unless of course it's for a quilt to be given as a gift.

Jim's Gem 03-18-2010 07:56 AM

There have been a couple of threads on this before.
I have some really nice built in cabinets in my sewing room where I place my stash. I also have some rolling drawer carts for my fat quarters and scraps and then several clear Rubbermaid tubs in the garage for the overflow.

BellaBoo 03-18-2010 09:19 AM

I can't sew in a messy place. I try to pick up and put items back in place as I go but that doesn't work all the time. I fold the fabric and find a place for it on my shelves. If it is for a specific quilt I put the fabric and pattern in a storage box and label it. I don't hid anything I buy. DH couldn't care less what's in my shopping bags. He knows he spends as much or more. A price of a football game ticket will keep me supplied in quilt kits for a long time. Sometimes a fabric will catch his eye and he'll say how pretty it is.

amandasgramma 03-18-2010 09:22 AM

" nice tidy sewing rooms" --- HAH - I try, mom! I REALLY do -- the imps come in at night and mess it up -- REALLY!!!!!

Seriously -- I try, too, to keep mine clean, but in the middle of a quilt -- it's a MESS!

I keep my stash in plastic bins -- both shoe box size for small pieces, and big ones for yardages. We live in a dusty area so I like to keep them clean (and the cats insist on sleeping on them if left out)

I don't label -- I buy clear boxes....takes too much sewing time to get TOO organized!!!! Besides, when searching for one fabric, I'm libal to find something else totally interesting~!!!!

pocoellie 03-18-2010 10:00 AM

My room is a disaster, but my fabric is pretty well organized. Even after I clean the room, it only takes about 10 minutes, until it looks like a tornado went through it. My "excess" fabric that aren't in the cabinet drawers are in the big(55 qt. or bigger) plastic,opaque totes. I do try to have them organized as far as background colors, or fabrics.

butterflywing 03-18-2010 01:21 PM

nice, neat sewing rooms? what language is that?

redrummy 03-18-2010 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
nice, neat sewing rooms? what language is that?

and why would you talk that way to me? did I make you mad or something?

Jim's Gem 03-18-2010 01:48 PM

I try to keep mine nice and neat. Currently I am cutting my scraps to make a log cabin quilt so there are a lot of fabric pieces laying about. Cutting table is covered as well as sewing machine and cabinet. My housekeeper straightened it up a little for me on Tuesday.