Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   There are no quilt police...how many of you don't care what color thread (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/there-no-quilt-police-how-many-you-dont-care-what-color-thread-t218159.html)

Teeler 04-03-2013 11:01 AM

There are no quilt police...how many of you don't care what color thread

My first quilt (the chicken one) I did buy coordinating thread...but then I realized I had a ton of full bobbins (and not one empty one) of every other color thread I already owned. I started using them all up, and except for the outside quilting thread that I made sure was a coordinating neutral...it just didn't seem to matter one iota what color thread was holding the whole thing together on the inside. I'm pretty sure that from here on out, unless it's a 'special' project, I'm not going to worry about anything other than whether the thread needs to be dark or light for any given project.

Any other rogue players out there using up whatever's hanging about and not worrying about matching your project?

Jo C 04-03-2013 11:09 AM

I use whatever is in the machine. I don't care!

quilts4charity 04-03-2013 11:12 AM

I usually use white or cream unless it's all dark colors so ...NAH, I don't care if it matches except with the quilting!!!!!

loisf 04-03-2013 11:18 AM

I have four Aurifil 50 weight threads that I use for all piecing - white, black, grey and tan. It makes thinner seams that iron flatter than the heavier threads. I love it. Truth be told, I'm sure you could choose either the grey or tan and piece everything with it, but I use a lot of white or black sashing and backgrounds, so I perfer the white and black too.

Skittl1321 04-03-2013 11:19 AM

I use whatever is in the machine. However, there are times when the seams have been stressed on my quilt and it shows- oops.

BellaBoo 04-03-2013 11:23 AM

I use a dirty green gray thread for all my piecing unless the fabric is white. I use thin thread 60 wt or higher for the bobbin. If I'm trying to use up 50 wt in extra bobbins I use the thin thread in the top.

x7lillies 04-03-2013 11:27 AM

For my bobbin thread, I use a thin filament polyester thread. It lasts so much longer per bobbin than the thicker cotton thread and I haven't had a single break since I started using it (on the bobbin side, anyway).

As for the top thread color, I try to buy white in bulk and use that, but if I run out I have no problem using colored thread. My only caveat would be if I'm sewing white muslin or another light-colored fabric. Then a dark thread color might show through the seam fold. Unlikely, but I have enough light-colored threads to just choose them.

glassdriller 04-03-2013 11:41 AM

I use to use what ever was handy. Now I go out of my way to load up 6-10 bobbins with off white and 6-10 with darker thread. The top thread I always use a different color than the bobbin. This way when I have to do some 'un-sewing' I can tell which thread is which.

Luv Quilts and Cats 04-03-2013 11:42 AM

I have used white so far. It has not been a problem.

nyelphaba 04-03-2013 11:45 AM

When I am piecing I use up all the bobbins I have. I usually sew with neutral colors, so when piecingI use up what I have.
When I am quilting, I use what I want to show on the quilt top and back.