Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Too Much Quilting Caused Trigger finger (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/too-much-quilting-caused-trigger-finger-t185619.html)

lfstamper 04-10-2012 01:18 PM

Too Much Quilting Caused Trigger finger

I have been sewing quite a lot since I retired and lately my hands have hurt. I went to the Doctor as they were not getting any better. He said I am straining my hands too much! Any one else have this happen?

It is more common in women. Both middle fingers got injections of cortisone. Should be back to normal tomorrow I hope.

Happy Quilting!

Neesie 04-10-2012 01:26 PM

I've had similar problems with my wrist, from crocheting too much. It seemed to right itself, after about a week's break.

lfstamper 04-10-2012 01:44 PM

Neesie - so glad it improves with rest. I am really hoping for that! Thanks for sharing.

nativetexan 04-10-2012 02:28 PM

too much of anything makes my hands and wrists hurt. even mowing the lawn. hope your hands get better soon. you will need to take breaks more often.

Christine- 04-10-2012 03:30 PM

You might find relief by taking glucosamine capsules. Glucosamine helps your body rebuild the 'cushion' in your joints. Do some google searches on glucosamine and you'll find out more information. It's cheaper than cortisone shots and lasts longer. It might take 3 or 4 weeks before you notice a difference, but the nice thing is it rebuilds throughout your entire body, not just your hands.

Tartan 04-10-2012 03:35 PM

Too much target practice?:D I have had quilting pain usually in my upper back between my shoulders or my hands ache if I do too much hand work. Hope you get back to normal soon.

lfstamper 04-10-2012 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 5131385)
Too much target practice?:D I have had quilting pain usually in my upper back between my shoulders or my hands ache if I do too much hand work. Hope you get back to normal soon.

too funny Tartan!

lfstamper 04-10-2012 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Christine- (Post 5131369)
You might find relief by taking glucosamine capsules. Glucosamine helps your body rebuild the 'cushion' in your joints. Do some google searches on glucosamine and you'll find out more information. It's cheaper than cortisone shots and lasts longer. It might take 3 or 4 weeks before you notice a difference, but the nice thing is it rebuilds throughout your entire body, not just your hands.

I have some but wasn't taking them so I will definitely restart. Thanks.

Pat625 04-10-2012 03:56 PM

Than ks for the tips..I can't bear to stop quilting for a week..it is my cigarette replacement!! Will get some of those tabs tomorrow...

hopetoquilt 04-10-2012 03:57 PM

My mother ended up with arthritis and bone spurs in one of her fingers from knitting. She makes each grandchild a christmas stocking for their first christmas. 3 of my siblings had kids in one year... she overdid it and is still paying for it. Her finger and hand still hurts.