Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Too Much Quilting Caused Trigger finger

Too Much Quilting Caused Trigger finger

I have been sewing quite a lot since I retired and lately my hands have hurt. I went to the Doctor as they were not getting any better. He said I am straining my hands too much! Any one else have this happen?

It is more common in women. Both middle fingers got injections of cortisone. Should be back to normal tomorrow I hope.

Happy Quilting!
    Linda

I've had similar problems with my wrist, from crocheting too much. It seemed to right itself, after about a week's break.

Neesie - so glad it improves with rest. I am really hoping for that! Thanks for sharing.
    Linda

Blog Entries
    too much of anything makes my hands and wrists hurt. even mowing the lawn. hope your hands get better soon. you will need to take breaks more often.

You might find relief by taking glucosamine capsules. Glucosamine helps your body rebuild the 'cushion' in your joints. Do some google searches on glucosamine and you'll find out more information. It's cheaper than cortisone shots and lasts longer. It might take 3 or 4 weeks before you notice a difference, but the nice thing is it rebuilds throughout your entire body, not just your hands.
    Bernina 640, Singer 201-3, Singer Centennial 15-91, Tin Lizzie 26" long arm

Power Poster
    Too much target practice? I have had quilting pain usually in my upper back between my shoulders or my hands ache if I do too much hand work. Hope you get back to normal soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    Too much target practice? I have had quilting pain usually in my upper back between my shoulders or my hands ache if I do too much hand work. Hope you get back to normal soon.
    too funny Tartan!
    Linda

Quote Originally Posted by Christine- View Post
    You might find relief by taking glucosamine capsules. Glucosamine helps your body rebuild the 'cushion' in your joints. Do some google searches on glucosamine and you'll find out more information. It's cheaper than cortisone shots and lasts longer. It might take 3 or 4 weeks before you notice a difference, but the nice thing is it rebuilds throughout your entire body, not just your hands.
    I have some but wasn't taking them so I will definitely restart. Thanks.
    Linda

Than ks for the tips..I can't bear to stop quilting for a week..it is my cigarette replacement!! Will get some of those tabs tomorrow...

My mother ended up with arthritis and bone spurs in one of her fingers from knitting. She makes each grandchild a christmas stocking for their first christmas. 3 of my siblings had kids in one year... she overdid it and is still paying for it. Her finger and hand still hurts.
    Last edited by hopetoquilt; 04-10-2012 at 04:01 PM.

I had trigger finger and ended up having to have surgery...not a bad surgery, just limiting for a few days. No problems since and that was about 6-7 years ago. Good Luck!
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

Blog Entries
    My mother needed surgery for this also. Take care of your health and do not overdo things. Your body is telling you to rest, or at least to exert yourself differently.

have you thought about a paraffin bath? the are supposed to be good for achy hands and feet and make your skin super soft.
    when life gets you down go and talk with a little kid. They will help you work out even the worst problems with their simple logic.

I had a trigger finger, left ring finger. I just stretching my hand while wiggling my fingers, just kept going and it has been gone for a long time. Much easier than surgery.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Oh no! I think that it's the repetitive action that makes things like that happen. Maybe stretching and massage will help. I take aloe juice for my aches and pains. I can tell when I don't stay with it and start taking it again.

I should get back on glucosamine too. Hmm!

Good luck. I hope you are feeling better soon.

I've hand the shots a few times and then had to have the tendon release in my L hand and I just recently had the R hand done about 6 wks ago. You should rest your hand at least a wk before you start again and don't work for hours at a time that's what my hand Dr. told me to do each time. It takes a week for the shot to really work. My R hand is getting better but not as fast as the L hand it's better but a lot slower and I've had to do have PT on the hand and it's still stiff and I just can't seem to get it back to normal it's hard when you want to sew or crochet but patience is the virtue. Good Luck and rest it long enough. Sue

Great advice from all of you. I forgot to say the Dr. gave me these rings to sleep in (not diamonds of course...lol). They fit on my middle finger knuckle to keep me from clinching my hands at night. He said the tendons do better stretched out. Big difference even this am. Hands are stiff but not as sore and I can type much better! Still waiting a while to try sewing again.
    Linda

I hope the rest does your finger some good so you can resume sewing again soon.
    Heather

I know this sounds ridiculous, but I was having a lot of pain in my hands and fingers. I quilt & crochet a lot. Someone gave me an EFX silicone bracelet. I started wearing it and the pain and swelling in my thumb went away. A few weeks ago, wile keeping the grandkids, I took the bracelet off one day and forgot to put it back on. After the kids went home, I started having aching hands again. I didn't think of the bracelet, but my husband did. When he mentioned it, I put it back on, and by nightfall, no more aching. It really works for me. They are cheap at Amazon or EBay.

JT
    I was having some tingling in my arms, beginning of carpal tunnel. Trigger finger is also part of carpal tunnel, I think. I've been wearing wrist braces when I sleep at night. The tingling is gone, and I'm sticking with it to avoid a surgery. Give it a try. I got my wrist braces at Walmart, for about $30 for both. They are a black "Mueller" brand. They work!!
    JT

Have you tried arnica cream? It is a natural topical antiinflmmatory, I get it at the natural food store. I developed tennis elbow from using the rotary cutter, and this cream has been a real life saver! Of course, it helped that I quit cutting for hours without a break too!

Rest is definately good and you might want to inquire about some exercises for your fingers and hand. I am working through somewrist problems and I started doing some exercises for my wrist and it is helping. Also doing the brace thing for the last year. Good luck.

Too much of anything can give you aches and pains...plus add to that our age! I agree that taking a break from it really helps physically even though it may drive you crazy!

Blog Entries
    My index finger is giving me fits.
    Linda

Blog Entries
    I've experienced a "trigger thumb" twice, both times requiring a cortisone shot. Incidentally, the shots do work but it's not instantaneous. About a week after you receive it one day you'll just realize the pain is gone and complete mobility has returned. Mine is always triggered by excessive crocheting or knitting. When I feel it coming on I usually immobilize it at night with a couple of bandaids over the joints and it does help a lot. I do take Osteo Biflex and even though it's been great for my lower back and R) hip I've not noticed any help when my thumb flairs up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast