Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Sewing Cabinet....Should I pull the trigger?

Alright I need some input. I need an inexpensive sewing cabinet, SO I was thinking about getting this one from Joanns....the BEST deal...you can use the 50% off online coupon so it's only $128 shipped to my front door?

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/p...ID=xprd1134127

What do you think? Should I do it?

Blog Entries
    Hi, I bought a nice wood sewing cabinet from Walmart for $90.00 and has a left side long extension on it. It looks like a piece of furniture.

would you want a cabinet on wheels?

Blog Entries
    this is the one I bought at Walmart at the store

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Brother-LS...44440320234109

Blog Entries
    info on the one from walmart and now you get a sewing machine and table for $149.00

Save Even More With Value Bundles!
    You get more for your money when you buy these great products together - at one low price.

Sewing Machine and Sewing Craft Table bundle. Drop leaf for extra work surface, storage behind roll-open door, 2 adjustable shelves.

Product Details for Brother LS2000 Sewing Machine:

•Full size sewing machine
    •20 stitch functions
    •Built-in free arm for sewing cuffs and sleeves
    •Easy automatic bobbin winding system
    •3-Needle position selector
    •Variable stitch width and length control
    •Built-in accessory storage
    •Instructional DVD included
    •Instruction manual also included
    •Full assortment of accessories
    •Stitch functions available for garment construction, decorative stitches, quilting stitches and heirloom stitches
    Product Details for Sewing Craft Table:

•Bishop pine finish
    •Drop leaf provides extra work space for sewing or crafts
    •Storage behind roll-open door includes 2 storage bins and hidden shelf for sewing machine
    •2 adjustable shelves behind door
    •Top surface is resistant to heat, stains and scratches
    •Easy-roll casters
    •Open cart dimensions: 63"L x 19-1/2"W x 28-1/2"H
    •Closed cart dimensions: 40"L x 19-1/2"W x 28-1/2"H
    •Shipped with Sauder's TransGuard package protection, which features hard cardboard edging and shrink-wrap film on the carton, to ensure your delivery arrives damage-free
    •Assembly required
    •Coordinates with the Fox Glenn collection

Blog Entries
    We have other Sauder furniture and very nice and sturdy!

The reviews make it sound good. Only one bad review and that because of missing pieces/parts. Everyone else seemed real happy with theirs. Let us know what you decide.

O my I have the walmart one.. but I like yours better...to bad you don't live closer I will have one to get rid off in he next couple of weeks.

GOOD LUCK!

Blog Entries
    also Big Lots, Walmarts, Lowes carries Sauder furniture

http://www.sauder.com

You know what!!! I just went to office Depot and bought an "L" shaped desk unit...it works great for my piecing machine and my embroidery machine...
    It has plenty of drawers and such...and it looks like a piece of furniture and not a sewing cabinet...though my machines sit a top.
    I love it...
    K

Just wondering - where does the foot pedal cord go through OR does it just plug into machine and then hang from front of area where you might lay your pincushion or scissors or even be in the road of moving your quilt about? One might have to drill a hole through top I guess if not. Also, wondering if you do a lot of fast sewing in quilting or long seams which might loosen the entire structure. You might ask if it is bolted together or just pressed wood and glued. I am thinking about this being a long-term piece of equipment for you, yet, the price is good. Have you checked out the second hand stores in your area? Sometimes those older cabinets are really a good sturdy find! Good luck.

Before I bought my final table, I used a heavy duty church-like long table that organizations put together for functions, etc. It worked for years and was very sturdy. Get two of them and put back to back and you would have a huge amount of space. Plus one could always fold it down when company was coming. Similar ones at SamsClub, Hancocks, etc were not sturdy and had a plastic top. Too noisy and flimsey--I know because I bought one to drag with me to Guild and it now sits in unfinished basement not being used. lol Also, when one puts a cutting board down, be sure to add some of that rolled drawer liner stuff one can get almost any place. It really keeps board from moving. If you put it under machine, it softens the noise factor too.

I have the Joanns large craft table, it has the same casters as the table you are looking at. If one breaks, they are impossible to repair. I found that as long as my table doesn't move for any reason, I can put the caster in place and it won't fall out. That's the only thing I would be concerned about.

I just have a sewing table with an extension so I can make the table larger if I'm doing a larger project. The table came with a small cabinet, the size of a 2-drawer file cabinet, and I put it to the left of the table and put my serger on it.

Super Member I go To The Sea To Breathe's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have the same one from Wal mart, but only paid 100.00 for it. I like it .

Blog Entries
    Wow...guess that I was lucky to get the sewing cabinet that I have. When Mom ordered hers from Koala, they sent the wrong one and they said they didn't want it back...for her to keep it or if she knew of someone who could use it. I gladly accepted it since I only had the kitchen table to use. :( Now, my machine sits in a wonderful cabinet and raises and lowers with a remote :D :thumbup: Lots of extra cutting space :thumbup: Tons of storage too :D Koala said it wasn't cost effective to ship it back...( It is priced at $1700 I think )

Good luck on getting the right table for your machine :D

I'd check Craig's list and Freecycle for an older model cabinet before I'd pay that much for a lesser quality item. I got a really nice cabinet (with machine) for $50 through the Trading Post show on our local radio station. I had previously gotten a somewhat smaller one (also with machine) for $25 at a local resale shop. Not too long ago there was a commercial machine complete with table at an estate sale for $250...too bad I didn't have the cash at that point!

I think you can get a better deal with an older more solid table.

Most of the time I just put my machine on my huge solid oak dining room table...very steady, lots of room, and the foot feed rests nicely against the table base.

That's a nice table.

I got mine from IKEA in case you are interested. I had to put it together and each were sold separately.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You might want to shop at an office supply store for a used cabinet. Today(4-8-10)I found a used upolstered task chair in perfect condition at my local store for $20.00. Sure beats the brand name chairs that start at $300.00. It made my day! sherry mcd

Blog Entries
    Yes, look around as you will find just what you want!

Blog Entries
    Do you have room for a kitchen table? That way you will have plenty of room to spread the quilt out?

Blog Entries
    Wow, I love your sewing room! Can I come and sew with you?

Quote Originally Posted by sewnsewer2
    That's a nice table.

I got mine from IKEA in case you are interested. I had to put it together and each were sold separately.

I bought a used Computer desk at a yard sale for $25, and have been using it for years for my sewing table. It has drawers on the bottom half, open shelving above. Plus the back is open for cords. Since I gave up machine quilting - and send my work out now to be quilted - I don't have a tabletop space issue. I do have a JoAnn's cutting table, and that is indespensable.

Blog Entries
    I purchase an old wood kitchen table at auction several years ago. There is plentty of room on top and those simple plastic drawer units we all use roll under it. I have lots of worktable room on top and storage below and I have less than $50. I neglected to mention how sturdy it is.

Quote Originally Posted by craftybear
    Wow, I love your sewing room! Can I come and sew with you?

Quote Originally Posted by sewnsewer2
    That's a nice table.

Thanks, I just wished it was that clean now! :lol:

I am also shopping for a new sewing table.... thank you everyone for your information. I have been looking at one for $650.00. I can't remember the company but they are made here in WI and delievered and set up for you. I really want one. But don't know if I can spend the money. Still thinking....

Quote Originally Posted by craftybear
    Hi, I bought a nice wood sewing cabinet from Walmart for $90.00 and has a left side long extension on it. It looks like a piece of furniture.

would you want a cabinet on wheels?
    I bought the same one. Absolutely love it. Mine also came with a rolling stool. It has a cushioned seat that opens for storage.

Couldn't beat the price....I think that I paid about $99. Worth that and more !!!!!!

MaryJane

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast