Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What is the best stabilizer for applique?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-best-stabilizer-applique-t192226.html)

Irene Frohreich 06-21-2012 04:58 PM

Your pictures are beautiful, I use steam a seam 2 and haven't had any problems.

kakels 06-21-2012 05:28 PM

They are beautiful! Where did you get the patterns for them? I'd love it!

mldulac 06-21-2012 06:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you all for your words of encouragement. I really am a newbie to quilting, I started playing around with quilting this summer. This photo is the very first one I started. I also did a mallard, but it doesn't want to upload. In any case neither one is finished. I seem to keep trying new things and don't finish the last one first. LOL!! WHOOPS! The 3-D flowers and Mallard are from ThimbleArt.com. The Morning Glory is a stained glass pattern I found on line and the Portland Lighthouse is from a photo.(I live in southern Maine).
[ATTACH=CONFIG]343818[/ATTACH]
I have had a lot of experience sewing, but not quilting.For many years I sewed the prototypes for a popular clothing designer, until I retired a few years back. I am bored being retired and need a new hobby and I have always loved quilts. ( I like cooking too, but i have blogged all the favorite recipes that my family likes already.)

Prism99 06-21-2012 07:34 PM

Beautiful!

Neesie 06-22-2012 03:58 PM

Those are just too, too cute, for words!!!! :thumbup:

MimiBug123 06-22-2012 09:44 PM

I trace my designs on lightweight interfacing (used in garment sewing). I then put it on top of my fabric and stitch all the way around the design on the line I have drawn. Trim the edges to about 1/4" and be sure to snip around curved seams. Then, cut a small slit in the interfacing and turn the piece inside out. Press, and it's ready to be basted down. The interfacing is so soft, it's no problem to hand stitch. You don't have any raw edges to turn under (I hate that) and no paper to worry about peeling off. If I don't do it this way, I applique in the hoop on my Janome 10001. There are some really cute applique designs out there. This isn't the conventional way, but after much trial and error, it works for me!

DMotyl 06-23-2012 05:17 AM

I am no help with your dilemma but I just wanted to say these pieces look beautiful as they are. I would still give them as gifts as I cannot imagine the recipient not happy with either of them. One advantage to having them framed is they won't get dusty inside the frame. :o)

mldulac 06-23-2012 01:15 PM

This sounds like a great idea. I certainly am going to try it. Thank you so much.

feline fanatic 06-23-2012 03:47 PM

WOW! Your work is beautiful. Your experience in garment sewing has translated nicely for you in quilting. I love everything you have posted so far and the Portland Headlight is beautiful as a framed work of art. Maybe for the sofa throw you can do something pieced instead of applique. It seems you really like the applique patterns though. Keep trying with some of these other products, I am sure you will find something right for you.

This thread has been very informative.