Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What I Learned About Spray Basting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-i-learned-about-spray-basting-t180300.html)

EllieGirl 02-22-2012 01:42 PM

What I Learned About Spray Basting

I tried spray basting yesterday and today. I spread out an old comforter yesterday and sprayed the backing to attach to the batting. I learned it's much easier putting the fabric on the table rather than the floor. I also learned to start in the middle and work out. The fabric is less likely to wrinkle.

This really beats pinning and hand basting! I hope the quilting goes as well.

Stitchnripper 02-22-2012 03:02 PM

Just curious on how you handle the overspray on the table? I tried spray basting once on my kitchen floor, thought I had spread enough newspapers around, didn't, and had a time getting it up. I'm willing to try again though.

quilter41 02-22-2012 03:17 PM

I do mine on a table DH made for me with saw horses in the garage. The overspray is very hard to remove. Ask me how I know? For smaller quilts it is definitely the way to go.

gardnergal970 02-22-2012 03:18 PM

I use spray basting but do it on my design wall. I put up an old sheet with big saftey pins first and pin up the the back of the quilt, spray, add batting stretched and pinned and finally spray and pin the top on. Each time I spray, I lift the edge of the sheet to catch the overspray. I do use a light application which holds well and clean up is throwing the sheet in the washer. It is so simple and works so well for me.

paulswalia 02-22-2012 03:18 PM

I'm told that Mr. Clean magic erasers take off the overspray like "magic".

EllieGirl 02-22-2012 03:23 PM

I put a queen size old comforter under it. This quilt is just a wall hanging. If I were doing a larger quilt I would just make sure everything within about 1-2 feet was covered. I think doing it in sections is important and for a larger size quilt doing the sections might be a little time consuming but it still takes less time than the hand basting.

katier825 02-22-2012 03:31 PM

If you hold the can near the edge of the fabric, and aim towards the center of the quilt while working around the edges, you can avoid a lot of overspray. I spray lightly in a grid pattern about 6-8" apart. Works for me!

GagaSmith 02-22-2012 03:38 PM

Good advice. I haven't tried it yet but will soon.

Kitsie 02-22-2012 05:51 PM

Love it, but sure was a pain to get off my brass bed!! Now I hook a fitted sheet over the two outside top posts and painters plastics sheets are quite cheap! I, also, do it in sections.

T-Anne 02-22-2012 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by katier825 (Post 4998940)
If you hold the can near the edge of the fabric, and aim towards the center of the quilt while working around the edges, you can avoid a lot of overspray. I spray lightly in a grid pattern about 6-8" apart. Works for me!

That's what I do too and it works great!