Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What is the Name of This Block? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-name-block-t142194.html)

JENNR8R 08-03-2011 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by saf
I think that this block is called Brasstown star. Check out Quilter's Cache,

That's it!!! Thank you so much! :D

Jan in VA 08-03-2011 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by JENNR8R

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
Lone Star
Western Star
Star of the West
Texas Star
Star of Hope

All from Encyclopedia of Pieced Quilt Patterns.

Jan in VA

That's funny... Maggie's book has eight blocks called Lone Star, no Western Star, nine Star of the West, seven Texas Star, and six Star of Hope... None of them look like my block, and most of them don't look anything at all like the same named blocks. I wonder how so many different blocks have the same name?

Well, it's a regional thing, for one.
It's also dependent on where the author finds the names for the blocks. Barbara Brachman, author of the Enc. of Pieced Quilt Patterns is a renowned quilt block and fabric historian so I, personally, go to her books first. She generally tries to trace a block name to its first use in print. Many of her sources are documented from widely read women's magazines and other resources from the 1800s to the thirties.

Jan in VA

jljack 08-03-2011 10:27 AM

That's a wonderful quilt!! Love the colors and the theme!!! :-)

JENNR8R 08-03-2011 10:38 AM

Man... Do I have alot to learn. If someone told me that they made a Lone Star quilt, I would be thinking a Jan Krentz creation, not the block that I made. If I were to guess, I'd think my block was a Ohio Star variation like the previous poster said.

I noticed that many of the blocks in Maggie's book were the same design with a different coloration. Is it the design or the coloration that makes the block?

Lindsey 08-03-2011 10:40 AM

I do believe this block is called weather vane.. I went to quilters cache and its similar but no its not the same block

Jan in VA 08-03-2011 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by JENNR8R
Man... Do I have alot to learn. If someone told me that they made a Lone Star quilt, I would be thinking a Jan Krentz creation, not the block that I made. If I were to guess, I'd think my block was a Ohio Star variation like the previous poster said.

I noticed that many of the blocks in Maggie's book were the same design with a different coloration. Is it the design or the coloration that makes the block?

I agree with you about the Lone Star ....I'd assume it was one large, multi-diamonded, 8-pointed star, too! That's certainly what I called the one I made.

And I call all my smaller, pieced-in-a-block, 8-pointed stars "Ohio Star" or variations, too. I know what I mean even if not everyone else does, LOL!

In some of Barbara Brackman's graphics she seems to indicate that coloring does make a difference in the name of a block. In fact, the names I previously submitted were from several variations on that block. Who's to say?

If you know what you're talking about, and someone else agrees, in my book that's all that counts. :wink: :D

Jan in VA