Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: What is the Name of This Block?

  1. #1
    Super Member JENNR8R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Herndon, VA
    Posts
    1,067
    I posted a picture of my first quilt in a Facebook group, and someone asked me what the name of one of the blocks was. I had no idea since I was just playing with graph paper and that is what I came up with.

    I looked in the book "5,500 Quilt Block Designs" by Maggie Malone, but I didn't see it in there.

    Does anyone know the name of the mystery block?

    The Cross
    Name:  Attachment-235591.jpe
Views: 65
Size:  41.8 KB

    Mystery Block
    Name:  Attachment-235592.jpe
Views: 71
Size:  50.3 KB

  2. #2
    Super Member nursie76's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    North Central PA
    Posts
    5,633
    Drat! I have seen one very similar, but don't remember the name...not much help, am I? lol I will be watching for the answer.

  3. #3
    Super Member leatheflea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    martinsville Indiana
    Posts
    4,476
    Nope but is sure is purdy!

  4. #4
    Super Member Jan in VA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Posts
    8,278
    Lone Star
    Western Star
    Star of the West
    Texas Star
    Star of Hope

    All from Encyclopedia of Pieced Quilt Patterns.

    Jan in VA

  5. #5
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Elmira, NY
    Posts
    6,226
    I thought you said you made it up. It's a lovely block and quilt!

  6. #6
    Super Member JENNR8R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Herndon, VA
    Posts
    1,067
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA
    Lone Star
    Western Star
    Star of the West
    Texas Star
    Star of Hope

    All from Encyclopedia of Pieced Quilt Patterns.

    Jan in VA
    That's funny... Maggie's book has eight blocks called Lone Star, no Western Star, nine Star of the West, seven Texas Star, and six Star of Hope... None of them look like my block, and most of them don't look anything at all like the same named blocks. I wonder how so many different blocks have the same name?

  7. #7
    Super Member JENNR8R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Herndon, VA
    Posts
    1,067
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfkitty
    I thought you said you made it up. It's a lovely block and quilt!
    Thanks wolfkitty :)

    I did make it up at the time but...

    "What has been will be again,
    what has been done will be done again;
    there is nothing new under the sun."
    Ecclesiastes 1:9 New International Version (NIV)

    I can't imagine any block not already having a name.

  8. #8
    Guest
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Cypress, Texas
    Posts
    4,743
    That is beautiful!

  9. #9
    saf
    saf is offline
    Super Member saf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,178
    I think that this block is called Brasstown star. Check out Quilter's Cache,

  10. #10
    Senior Member Bobbinchick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Port angeles, Wa
    Posts
    939
    Looks like a variation to the Ohio Star. I could be wrong, but have seen it before. Huggies, Fay

  11. #11
    Super Member JENNR8R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Herndon, VA
    Posts
    1,067
    Quote Originally Posted by saf
    I think that this block is called Brasstown star. Check out Quilter's Cache,
    That's it!!! Thank you so much! :D

  12. #12
    Super Member Jan in VA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Posts
    8,278
    Quote Originally Posted by JENNR8R
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA
    Lone Star
    Western Star
    Star of the West
    Texas Star
    Star of Hope

    All from Encyclopedia of Pieced Quilt Patterns.

    Jan in VA
    That's funny... Maggie's book has eight blocks called Lone Star, no Western Star, nine Star of the West, seven Texas Star, and six Star of Hope... None of them look like my block, and most of them don't look anything at all like the same named blocks. I wonder how so many different blocks have the same name?
    Well, it's a regional thing, for one.
    It's also dependent on where the author finds the names for the blocks. Barbara Brachman, author of the Enc. of Pieced Quilt Patterns is a renowned quilt block and fabric historian so I, personally, go to her books first. She generally tries to trace a block name to its first use in print. Many of her sources are documented from widely read women's magazines and other resources from the 1800s to the thirties.

    Jan in VA

  13. #13
    Super Member jljack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North Carolina - But otherwise, NOTW
    Posts
    8,073
    Blog Entries
    9
    That's a wonderful quilt!! Love the colors and the theme!!! :-)

  14. #14
    Super Member JENNR8R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Herndon, VA
    Posts
    1,067
    Man... Do I have alot to learn. If someone told me that they made a Lone Star quilt, I would be thinking a Jan Krentz creation, not the block that I made. If I were to guess, I'd think my block was a Ohio Star variation like the previous poster said.

    I noticed that many of the blocks in Maggie's book were the same design with a different coloration. Is it the design or the coloration that makes the block?

  15. #15
    Super Member Lindsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Bucks co PA
    Posts
    1,280
    I do believe this block is called weather vane.. I went to quilters cache and its similar but no its not the same block

  16. #16
    Super Member Jan in VA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Posts
    8,278
    Quote Originally Posted by JENNR8R
    Man... Do I have alot to learn. If someone told me that they made a Lone Star quilt, I would be thinking a Jan Krentz creation, not the block that I made. If I were to guess, I'd think my block was a Ohio Star variation like the previous poster said.

    I noticed that many of the blocks in Maggie's book were the same design with a different coloration. Is it the design or the coloration that makes the block?
    I agree with you about the Lone Star ....I'd assume it was one large, multi-diamonded, 8-pointed star, too! That's certainly what I called the one I made.

    And I call all my smaller, pieced-in-a-block, 8-pointed stars "Ohio Star" or variations, too. I know what I mean even if not everyone else does, LOL!

    In some of Barbara Brackman's graphics she seems to indicate that coloring does make a difference in the name of a block. In fact, the names I previously submitted were from several variations on that block. Who's to say?

    If you know what you're talking about, and someone else agrees, in my book that's all that counts. :wink: :D

    Jan in VA

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.