Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   When machine quilting, what size stitch should I use? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/when-machine-quilting-what-size-stitch-should-i-use-t64459.html)

Dina 09-12-2010 06:34 PM

I recently machine quilted for the first time in a long time, and I have forgotten (or maybe never knew) what size stitch to use. After starting with 2.5, I went to 3.5, but now I am thinking I should have used even a larger stitch.

So I am asking for the next time that I machine quilt. I can't seem to find this detail anywhere, so I figured I would just "ask the experts."

Thanks!!

wolfkitty 09-12-2010 06:35 PM

Excellent question. I would like to know, too. I have a baby quilt coming up and this information would be helpful. Thanks for asking.

smtp5 09-12-2010 06:39 PM

Are you talking about Free Motion?

I use a walking foot and sew straight sticth at 2.5 and it does great!
But this isn't free motion!!

amma 09-12-2010 06:40 PM

I set my machine to 2.0 that way the ends of the stitching doesn't come undone. I know some sew with a 3.0, but this is my preference. :D:D:D

Jeanniejo 09-12-2010 06:41 PM

I don't know either. I think I use 3 on my one and only that wasn't FMQ, but don't know if that was right .

Dina 09-12-2010 07:01 PM

No, I don't mean free motion. I haven't tried that yet. I was trying for stitch in the ditch and then I was also going diagonally from one corner of the block to the other.

My sister has a long arm quilting machine...I can't recall what kind...and I have used that....with her guidance for my last four quilts. I have only machine quilted a baby quilt before, and sort of went by memory. When I looked at the stitches on the quilts I quilted at my sister's, it looked like a stitch much larger than 3.5.

Now I am wondering if I used too large a stitch when I switched to 3.5? I made that quilt for a charity auction and have already given it away. I can't even go look at it to compare to my other quilts!! I hate to think that the first quilt I made to give away may be inferior. :(

Any more experts who can add to my knowledge??

Jingle 09-12-2010 07:09 PM

I'm not an expert and don't do much SID, on the crib quilt I just did for new Great Granddaughter, I used a 2.0 stitch length, I like a small stitch and sew with a smaller stitch than most. When I use to sew clothes I started out using a small stitch, didn't want to mend clothes if the seams came out.

Holice 09-12-2010 07:18 PM

I use about a 3 because I believe you need to lengthen the stitch a bit from the setting for two pieces of fabric to accommodate the batting.

SueDor 09-13-2010 02:30 AM

I read somewhere to have the stitch where you are comfortable with, just incase you have to take out the stitches.

watterstide 09-13-2010 02:36 AM

i use a 3.0 when stitching in the ditch,or doing a cross hatch on a quilt.

with my machine, i find if i go any smaller..i get puckers, even using a walking foot. course, it could be the foot tension.