Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Who likes to paper piece? Lets Chit Chat! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/who-likes-paper-piece-lets-chit-chat-t40265.html)

craftybear 03-21-2010 05:05 PM

Hi,

I was wondering who all likes to make paper piecing. I just learned last month and now I am hooked. I hope to chat with others that likes to paper piece.

"Craftybear"

adriansmom 03-21-2010 05:26 PM

I love paper piecing! Once you get used to it, you can just cruise right along. It's the only time I can get my pints to match and not get cut off. if only my piecing would go so smoothly. LOL

danmar 03-21-2010 05:51 PM

I just did my first PPing today. I have a question for you. When you are finished and go to cut around the paper to get the real shape of the piece you did, how do you keep the material underneath from shifting??? Mine shifted and then it was about 1/8" short of lining up with the paper after I cut it off. I also had a hard time sewing the 2 halves of the little square together and keeping my points. Any tips??
Thanks and I'd love to chat about pping.
Marilyn

adriansmom 03-21-2010 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by danmar
I just did my first PPing today. I have a question for you. When you are finished and go to cut around the paper to get the real shape of the piece you did, how do you keep the material underneath from shifting??? Mine shifted and then it was about 1/8" short of lining up with the paper after I cut it off. I also had a hard time sewing the 2 halves of the little square together and keeping my points. Any tips??
Marilyn

I use my rotary cutter/ruler to trim on the lines (1/4" past the seam line), so I don't normally have a shifting problem. As for putting the together, you must use pins to line up the lines/points. That is why it is helpful to not remove the paper until the top is together.

danmar 03-21-2010 06:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by adriansmom

Originally Posted by danmar
Marilyn

I use my rotary cutter/ruler to trim on the lines (1/4" past the seam line), so I don't normally have a shifting problem. As for putting the together, you must use pins to line up the lines/points. That is why it is helpful to not remove the paper until the top is together.

I used my rotary cutter, ruler and pins too, but I must of done something wrong. The pins were pretty much useless since I had already cut it wrong. Are you saying that I leave the paper on all the pieces until I get the block sewed together? This pattern had 8 pieces to PP. Should I sew all of it together and then remove the paper? Here's a picture of my 1st block. I'm trying to learn off a tutorial off the internet. I don't know anybody who PP's. I haven't even tried to square it up! LOL

My Lucky Star #2 Block --- 3/21/10
[ATTACH=CONFIG]22109[/ATTACH]

tkhooper 03-21-2010 07:03 PM

That's to complex of a pattern to start with. At least that's what I was told by my quilting group. I've only done two blocks so far. One was 4 diamonds and one was a flight of birds. I left the paper on and pressed after sewing every piece on. All my points matched up beautifully and I didn't cut off any when I trimmed to the edge of my paper.

danmar 03-21-2010 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by tkhooper
That's to complex of a pattern to start with. At least that's what I was told by my quilting group. I've only done two blocks so far. One was 4 diamonds and one was a flight of birds. I left the paper on and pressed after sewing every piece on. All my points matched up beautifully and I didn't cut off any when I trimmed to the edge of my paper.

Do you know what pattern I could start with as a beginner, other than the "Square in a Square" or the "Log Cabin"? I want to do something pretty, but beginners style. I don't have a quilting group to ask so I hope you don't mind helping me. I will try leaving the paper on until I'm finished though. It doesn't say on the online tutorial when you're suppose to take it off. I jumped the gun, not the pattern. I think it would be just awesome to make something PP, and have all my points match up beautifully like yours. Maybe with the right pattern for a beginner. Thanks for the help! I appreciate it.
Marilyn

red roses 03-21-2010 07:39 PM

I just learned paper piecing this year. I am working on the Sylvia's Bridal Sampler quilt and many of the blocks have pp instructions. I did almost all of the paper pieced blocks because I enjoyed it so much! It goes pretty fast and it requires less thinking for some reason!

tkhooper 03-22-2010 04:22 AM

I went to the quilterscache.com website. she has a gazillion blocks. Choose the size of block you want to make and then look for one that is identified as pp and beginner. Although some of her beginners really aren't. She also provides very good instructions for putting them together.

One thing I had to learn was to pin triangles from the point to the base rather than the other way around so that I didn't loose my seam allowance.

Deb watkins 03-22-2010 04:31 AM

I took a PP class at the Philadelphia Mancuso Quilt show. The instructor was George Sciciliano and he has developed a ruler just for PP. It makes the process so much easier. I used it when I made the Cinco de Mayo wallhanging, which I have posted on this site in the Pictures section.