Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Who likes to paper piece? Lets Chit Chat! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/who-likes-paper-piece-lets-chit-chat-t40265.html)

hokieappmom 03-22-2010 04:43 AM

My avatar is my first paper pieced quilt. I made it for my DD. Once I got the hang of it, I was hooked too! It makes sewing the pieces together so accurate, and I like that.

pocoellie 03-22-2010 04:46 AM

I love to paper piece. When do we chat?

krazy4quilts 03-22-2010 05:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have done my 1st PP and I loved it. It was long going because I had no clue what I was doing. I love how the points come out perfect.

sandpat 03-22-2010 05:10 AM

I love it too! I also have a little trouble lining up the units to sew them together. I just figured out that a great way to do it is to use the glue pen!!! Yes...glue! I works much better than the pins for me. I'm doing the Jane quilt and those tiny blocks ..you have to be perfect on the triangles..I found the glue to be just the right thing. The one I use is a Sewline fabric glue pen.

EllaBud 03-22-2010 05:29 AM

Here are some useful points for pp:
1. I use regular copy paper, nothing special.
2. Use a short stitch because they make removing the paper easier and the fabric won't move.
3. Do not remove the paper until the piece is completely done!
4. Remember to trim your seams (once they've been sewed)to 1/4".
5. Press and starch each piece right after you've added it.

Hope this helps. I absolutely love pp. And it is addictive, in a wonderful way!

danmar 03-22-2010 05:46 AM

Thank you Crafty Bear for starting this topic! And thank you everybody who is posting great info so I can learn. I have alot better idea of what to do now and will try it again.

fun2quilt 03-22-2010 05:56 AM

Love PP. Have been working on flower blocks that are PP.
I use the flip & sew method with freezer paper, it really stablizers the fabric, cut it to copier paper size and run through my printer.

DJ 03-22-2010 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by fun2quilt
I use the flip & sew method with freezer paper . . .

Can you describe this process?

I'm making some pp stars (from a quilterscach.com pattern ... Simple Star), and the size they suggest cutting some of the pp pieces are too small. I should have made a practice block first instead of cutting all the fabric up. Be careful! I was a little short of fabric anyway, so this glitch didn't help. I usually don't pre-cut the pieces, I just use a piece larger than I know I need.

Oklahoma Suzie 03-22-2010 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by tkhooper
I went to the quilterscache.com website. she has a gazillion blocks. Choose the size of block you want to make and then look for one that is identified as pp and beginner. Although some of her beginners really aren't. She also provides very good instructions for putting them together.

One thing I had to learn was to pin triangles from the point to the base rather than the other way around so that I didn't loose my seam allowance.

great idea.

LUV2QLT 03-22-2010 07:34 AM

I paper pieced a wallhanging and put it into a king size quilt for my son - an Eagle Boy Scout - how do I attatch a photo from my computer photo file in the 'quick reply' box? I'd like to share the results with you all