Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Who likes to paper piece? Lets Chit Chat! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/who-likes-paper-piece-lets-chit-chat-t40265.html)

LUV2QLT 03-22-2010 08:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
OK - going to give this photo add thing a try - here's the quilt, held up by my son, the Eagle Boy Scout - the center panel is of a camping scene - all paper pieced! My second attempt at PP!!!

Eagle Boy Scout & Quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]23190[/ATTACH]

KSCrafter 03-22-2010 09:01 AM

Great job! (and your son is a cutie!!)

I love paper piecing and have done quite a few wallhangings. I'm not good at traditional quilt piecing, so PP is my "cheat" on making curves. Thank goodness for the internet and the many patterns I've been able to find to practice with!

PaperPanache.com and freequiltpatterns.com are good ones.

tkhooper 03-22-2010 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by LUV2QLT
OK - going to give this photo add thing a try - here's the quilt, held up by my son, the Eagle Boy Scout - the center panel is of a camping scene - all paper pieced! My second attempt at PP!!!

All I can say is WOW that is one great quilt.

LUV2QLT 03-22-2010 09:24 AM

never heard of this - will have to checkinto it - at Joann's? or at actual quilt shop? maybe Michael's?

LUV2QLT 03-22-2010 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by sandpat
I love it too! I also have a little trouble lining up the units to sew them together. I just figured out that a great way to do it is to use the glue pen!!! Yes...glue! I works much better than the pins for me. I'm doing the Jane quilt and those tiny blocks ..you have to be perfect on the triangles..I found the glue to be just the right thing. The one I use is a Sewline fabric glue pen.

This is a learning process to figure out how to reply on this board - sorry! This is what I was replying to - the glue pen - any ideas as to where to purchase one?

LUV2QLT 03-22-2010 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by EllaBud
Here are some useful points for pp:
1. I use regular copy paper, nothing special.
2. Use a short stitch because they make removing the paper easier and the fabric won't move.
3. Do not remove the paper until the piece is completely done!
4. Remember to trim your seams (once they've been sewed)to 1/4".
5. Press and starch each piece right after you've added it.

Hope this helps. I absolutely love pp. And it is addictive, in a wonderful way!

All great hints - I also pre-measure for fabric needed for each piece - length x width - add 1" total all around (so I have 1/2" extra on all sides) - then cut a piece of fabric to those measurements - then I know I have enough and won't be short when I fold the fabric over to press! Really speeded up the process for me doing my son't quilt panel!

topper1 03-22-2010 09:37 AM

go to Carol Doak download tulip pattern i just started too. love it

k3n 03-22-2010 09:39 AM

I learned PPing from amma's tute here on the board. When joining the units together, I stick an appliqué pin - the tiny little ones, upright and right through all the seam junctions, then when the foot is approaching it, I take it out. I have heard about the glue but not tried it yet. I think that amma said she also sometimes just takes a tiny tacking stitch by hand through all the junctions, if it's an especially tricky join.

topper1 03-22-2010 09:39 AM

great job

hokieappmom 03-22-2010 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by tkhooper

Originally Posted by LUV2QLT

All I can say is WOW that is one great quilt.

Ditto.