Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   You know it's bad..... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/you-know-its-bad-t146667.html)

Essiescott 08-21-2011 04:24 AM

When you purchase the same fabric for the same project more than once.

I am working on gathering fabric for a quilting project I am hoping to do in the near future. As I go places I pick up a piece of fabric here and there. Well this morning I thought I would go and see what I have. I have about 20 pieces of fabric in the bin for my project. I start looking at them closely, and 4 pieces I have already previously purchased. So I have 4 duplicates. I guess I must have really liked them. Well a couple are very pretty. But don't you just hate it when that happens? Oh well such is life.

I am just wondering how do y'all do it when you have a large stash, I might have 50 to 100 yards if that in my total stash---including FQ. How do you know what you have when you have shelves and shelves, and totes full of fabric?

Sibyl

NJ Quilter 08-21-2011 04:26 AM

I've been known to do that with clothing! Get something new home from the store and when I put it away find out I already have the same thing!

RenaB 08-21-2011 04:42 AM

I only purchase fabric for up to 3 projects I have in mind. I have 3 storage bins (1) for each project and when I get a coupon, I decide ahead of time which project I am going to buy for. This way, when everything is purchased, hopefully, I am done with my current project and can start that one which frees up the bin to start purchasing for another project. In addition, I start a "supply sheet" for each project and take a little 1 x 1 square and glue it to the sheet. This way, when I go to the store, I take that sheet with me so I can match it up. :)

pocoellie 08-21-2011 04:46 AM

I don't know how I do it, but I rarely have duplicates and sometimes I do get more of a certain fabric that I know I already have, but I really like that particular fabric. I also have probably hundreds of sewing patterns and very rarely buy the same pattern, I may have the same pattern but in different sizes.

clsurz 08-21-2011 04:47 AM

I buy fabric for projects I see on those free patterns they have in stores if it's something I like HOWEVER the rest of the time I buy fabric just because I like it for future use especially nature type fabrics, solids and such for portrait fabric painting.

DogHouseMom 08-21-2011 04:50 AM

Guilty. I too have a pattern that I fell in love with, but in different colors than the ones used for the fabric. They saw Kaffe Fasset in the pattern .... I saw Gothic golds and Jewel tones. So, I've been collecting golds and jewel tones, the Hoffman (or is it Kaufman?) "Valley of the Kings" line really helped me out a lot.

Apparently a REAL lot because I bought a few fabrics that are repeats. And this was just in the matter of a few months.

I'd like to say that I wouldn't have made this mistake if my stash were better organized and visible but ....

I've also bought a book and put it in my stack to read. My "stack" is about 5 books on my bedside table. So if I see the stack every night why have I bought the same book again?

clynns 08-21-2011 04:53 AM

Here's what I do. I go to the dollar store and buy the photo albums for $1.00. The I cut a piece of paper the same size as the 'album'. At the top of the paper I write the collection. Example: Oasis (Moda). Then when I make my first purchase I cut the selvage edge that shows the COLOR not the plain white with numbers about 2 inches long. I then go to the website for the manufacturer and look up the collection. I glue or staple the piece of selvage edge to the paper. Under the fabric I put the item number according to the website along with how many yards that I have purchased. I put it in my purse and I know exactly which ones I've purchased and how much yardage. So far I have 3 pages, 6 per page and 1 page with the directions of yardage needed to make the quilt. I always round up 1/4 yard and if I fussy cut, I round up 1 yard. Hope this is clear as mud. It doesn't weigh alot and I always have it on me. Cheryl

orangeroom 08-21-2011 04:54 AM

I'm not sure if I've ever bought a repeat. However, when I showed my friend some FQ that I bought the other day, she asked me 'Are you sure you don't already have that one at home?' I haven't made the time to look and see yet. But considering how my fabric is spilling out into an open bookshelf I have, I think it's time I made some rag quilts. I've got a lot of batting already pre-cut into 8" squares for rag quilts!

You could always take a quick look at your stash before you go out. Or you can do what I do on shop hops; bring your materials with you (even if it's just 1" squares of the material that you're planning to have in the quilt)!

orangeroom 08-21-2011 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by clynns
Here's what I do. I go to the dollar store and buy the photo albums for $1.00. The I cut a piece of paper the same size as the 'album'. At the top of the paper I write the collection. Example: Oasis (Moda). Then when I make my first purchase I cut the selvage edge that shows the COLOR not the plain white with numbers about 2 inches long. I then go to the website for the manufacturer and look up the collection. I glue or staple the piece of selvage edge to the paper. Under the fabric I put the item number according to the website along with how many yards that I have purchased. I put it in my purse and I know exactly which ones I've purchased and how much yardage. So far I have 3 pages, 6 per page and 1 page with the directions of yardage needed to make the quilt. I always round up 1/4 yard and if I fussy cut, I round up 1 yard. Hope this is clear as mud. It doesn't weigh alot and I always have it on me. Cheryl

That is really a great idea!

eparys 08-21-2011 05:04 AM

Guilty!! At least you know that your fabric choices are consistent.

I have run into so many ladies that either do the plastic page protector or 5x7 card with swatches stapled onto it. I am not that organized. I tend to be a spur of the moment purchaser - and never intending to buy more fabric (but I do lol). I wish I were more organized.