Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Problem: Expected quilts >

Problem: Expected quilts

Problem: Expected quilts

Old 07-14-2010, 06:06 AM

I've always had the problem of people expecting me to sew for them. When I worked and my coworkers realized I made my clothes, they would "offer" to let me make their clothes. If I worked the same job as them, had a home and family to care for, how did I have more time than they did??? As several others have said, people that don't sew think that we that do/can sew, just whipp out the projects like we have magical powers.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:16 PM
Banned

I would just say you are working on a project, and don't have time for anything else. God bless.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:00 PM

I give those who expect me to sew for them the card for a local dressmaker.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:19 PM

I had a couple requests from coworkers and such. I refuse to make a "free" quilt for some one I don't really care about (I think you know what I mean by that). Generally once we start talking price they change their minds. One was trying to talk me into a Lord of the Rings themed one and was going "it costs what like $20 right"? I was shocked... and said... more like $50 or $60 just for materials. He changed his mind fast.

Another one over heard me talking about my periodic table one and wanted one. I said something like $400 or so and he backed down quick. (that one took a good amount of work).

Lets see... mom keeps asking for one..... but treats hand made blankets like crap.

I really like making ones just for that special someone - where they really aren't expecting one but it fits them so well that they love it. Its more fun that way. :)
Old 07-15-2010, 10:53 PM

as the lion on the wizard of oz would say " Ain't it the truth"
I decided along time ago to try my hand at cake decorating just for fun ---- then it was I need a cake for bla bla bla from my sister for my nephew's birthday -in this special color and theme---at my expense of course-- here's the "99 cent box of cake mix" -no eggs- no frosting--- no help- try and turn this 99 cent box of cake mix into a full size sheet cake and ready for pick up by 5 o clock--- sure I will--- and then get this--- that cake cost me alot more money to make other than 99 cents-- and I heard --- where's my gift from my nephew--- NO more cakes--- and now quilts on demand-- NOT
Old 07-15-2010, 10:53 PM

as the lion on the wizard of oz would say " Ain't it the truth"
I decided along time ago to try my hand at cake decorating just for fun ---- then it was I need a cake for bla bla bla from my sister for my nephew's birthday -in this special color and theme---at my expense of course-- here's the "99 cent box of cake mix" -no eggs- no frosting--- no help- try and turn this 99 cent box of cake mix into a full size sheet cake and ready for pick up by 5 o clock--- sure I will--- and then get this--- that cake cost me alot more money to make other than 99 cents-- and I heard --- where's my gift from my nephew--- NO more cakes--- and now quilts on demand-- NOT
Old 07-17-2010, 01:27 PM

No, I won't do it for family unless this is what they want. I certainly do not want it ending upat the Salvation Army or to wrap and store something. My GD was raised by her dad so her perspective is "store Bought" and the boys are fussy about their belongings.
They need to ask and then we could collaborate on the pattern and colors.
My church would like to have me make quilts to sell but then they don't want to ask for much and that is not helping them or me. I would rather do them for charity such as homeless and battered women.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:32 PM

Why not just set a date and say, "After this date, I won't be making any more quilts to give away or sell." I decided that last fall and so far I am doing good with it!
Old 07-20-2010, 09:29 AM

I just told someone it would cost $400.00 to make her a quilt, she said I can get one at ---- I said you go there you'll get it alot quicker LOL
Old 07-20-2010, 07:32 PM
Banned

Me and my silly questions. Since when do we owe anyone any explanation for saying no, however it is said? It's far easier for DH and I to say no than to turn something we love into something we despise. (I piece, he quilts on LA.) When people start asking me, we tell them we don't quilt for others, we quilt for US. If they ask why and we CHOOSE to answer, we tell them it's because the sweetest, kindest person in the world automatically turns into a stark raving, head-spinning, green liquid spewing idiot when they are PAYING to have something done, and we're just not into that. It's never gone further than gut busting laughter after that.