Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
kits - when they're not quite what you expected >

kits - when they're not quite what you expected

kits - when they're not quite what you expected

Old 06-29-2011, 05:54 PM

Both these quilts are from the same web site and both were on sale for $29.99 each - including border, binding, and even backing. The pinkish one was pictured on the site with pinks and blues for the coordinating fabrics. My kit had grey, mustard, and a dark blue. The backing/binding/focus fabrics had a nice feel to them, but the solids felt coarse and rough. Now that it's finished I'll use it for something - the pink border softened it some and washing it helped the feel of the fabrics. I make quilts for high school graduates at my church and both of these will be used for that. At first I thought I'd have to find a teenage girl I didn't like to give this one to, but ... it's grown on me some. :)

The other one is a naval print and I like it much better - the fabrics play together a bit better.

I adjusted both quilts a little bit by adding a border or making the border wider than the pattern called for.

Would I order kits from this site again? Probably not. I'm a big fan of kits and have ordered many, but ... a bit disappointed in the "pink" one of these.

grey and mustard? Really?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]218785[/ATTACH]

changed border from 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 - that helped
[ATTACH=CONFIG]218786[/ATTACH]

black inner border was meant for binding
[ATTACH=CONFIG]218787[/ATTACH]

I like to frame them when the border is scrappy
[ATTACH=CONFIG]218789[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-218779.jpe   attachment-218780.jpe   attachment-218781.jpe   attachment-218783.jpe  
Old 06-29-2011, 05:58 PM

I've never ordered a kit. I have read on some sites that state that they can substitute. I don't like that just because if I have ordered something then that is what I am wanting. Not a substitution. I would prefer for them to contact me to see if a substitution is ok before they send me something off the wall. I know that they are a business but just like with you getting these 2 kits....you probably won't order from them again, I wouldn't either.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:58 PM

Do you have a photo of the second Oh, it just popped up. I'm sure the receiver will love it because you thought of them and gave them a quilt they will use for many years. The quilts look very nice to me, you did a nice job.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:12 PM

I'm not a fan of gray, so I would have unhappy with that package. Now that I've said that, I like the pink quilt. Somehow it all ties together. You did a good job making it work. All in all, not really bad for the price.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:18 PM

Before the pink border went on that quilt center was pretty awful. The border was supposed to be 2 1/2" and that fabric was also the binding. I made it 3 1/2 and pulled the backing over for the binding. That extra pink seemed to help.

The colors are all definately pulled from the focus fabric, but ... was surprised at which ones were pulled.

I'm insecure in my own color choices and like bundles and kits. Using kits has certainly helped me learn more about what I like and what I don't!
Old 06-29-2011, 06:24 PM

I would not have been happy with that kit either. But I have never purchased a kit. I have won one, I have been given a couple but never purchased one. I like to make my own fabric and color choices. Even when doing "Block of the month" type quilts from my LQS, I usually switched out at least on of the fabrics. Part of my problem is I do not like working with "true" solids.

You did a great job with salvaging it! There will be some girl out there that will love it!
Old 06-29-2011, 06:27 PM

That may be what gets me about that quilt! I don't usually have solids - tone on tones, marbles - that sort of thing, but solid solids? Not so much. Gayle, I think you put your finger on part of the problem.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:43 PM
Power Poster

I like the second one, but would have sent the "pink" one back.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:47 PM
Power Poster

I like the way you did that innner border.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:54 PM

Ooopss! Looks like the first one they were trying to use up their stash. but the second quilt is great, I think...