Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
problem >

problem

problem

Old 08-09-2012, 01:29 PM

I arrange my three layers to a quilt on our king size bed. I pin them that way too. I haven't had any problems.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by GagaSmith View Post
Several people here like to use this method but I haven't tried it myself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA
I really like the Sharon Schamber method, it can be done sitting at a table easily.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:36 PM

I don't have back problems but when I started quilting at about 65 yrs old I found that once I got down on the floor it was very difficult to get up!!! I sandwich all my quilts STANDING UP. I bought two 4'x8' pieces of rigid insulation at Home Depot, cut one in half so that I had 6' total width, then duct taped them together.

I start by pinning the backing on the board - wrong side facing out, making sure it is taunt but not stretched...spray baste;

pin on the batting making sure it is straight.. spray baste;

then I pin on the top, I have straight pins on the top of the quilt only at this point. Starting at the top middle I gently smooth down and out, down and out, all the way down the quilt. This is to smooth the quilt and make sure it is stuck to the batting. If you think it needs more spray baste you can raise the quilt, hit it with a few sprays where needed and then smooth out again.

Then I place safety pins about every couple of feet all the way around the quilt just to make sure it stays after I take it down off the board. I usually let it hang for a few hours to let the spray baste dry before I take it down.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by franc36 View Post
I use my cutting table. I wish my sewing room were larger so that I could have two cutting tables pushed together. The one table works, I just have to pin in sections.
This is how I do it too. My room is soo little! My cutting table has 2 sides that fold down. I can only fold one side up though. I just start in the middle and work my way left and right and then down. Then I turn the quilt around and pin to the top.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:46 PM

So you do your magic with sandwiching on the insulation board how? Flat, at an angle, vertical?
Old 08-09-2012, 01:47 PM

Quilts that are less than 72", i baste on my cutting table using the boards and basting thread. Especiallynif i can get to quilting them for a while. A few small ones i maybdo on the tile, but hard on the body. Anything larger, i take to my friend's house where she has 3 large tables and we can clamp the backing down and pin baste. If i am going to quilt it right away, i use straight pins and pieces of backer rod. If it's going to be awhile before i can quilt it, i use basting pins.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:50 AM

Thank you Ladies I also want to thank the Lady who "found" my post and sent me there!! Haha!! Is it okay to baste in "sections"? I don't have a table big enough to accomodate a quilt top all at once. I liked all the ideas and really appreciate this site. I've gotten so much help from you Ladies!! Just reading others questions and the answers they got helped me too. Thanks again!!
Old 08-10-2012, 04:55 AM

for large quilts to pin, check with your church, local senior center or library and ask if you may use their banquet tables for about an hour.

Most would be happy to let you pin your quilt.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:55 AM

When I don't want to get in the floor, I use my big dining room table. That table serves as everything. We eat on it when we have company. I cut all my fabric on it. Sometimes I sandwich my quilts on it. I pay bills on it. What would I do without it? heheeh!
Old 08-10-2012, 06:25 AM

If I have a quilt smaller than twin size and I really feel lazy I have often pinned basted it on my design wall. Just think vertical vs horizontal. My favorite method is the Sharon Schambers method, but I baste with quilter's safety pins instead of needle and thread.
https://www.google.com/search?q=shar...hrome&ie=UTF-8 .

I have two folding tables butted end to end that I use for her basting method. And I use my rolling office chair to sit in as I pin.