Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
problem >

problem

problem

Old 08-11-2012, 04:14 AM

Have watched a lot of tutes on using a wall and hang backing, then batting and top using spray baste.....
Old 08-11-2012, 04:24 AM

I go to church and put tables together. Works for me. I have a church key so can get in any time I want to.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:42 AM

Smile Sandwich your quilt on a large convenient surface

Originally Posted by Nancy11442 View Post
I like to quilt my own quilts. Problem: I am unable to get on the floor to sandwich a quilt. I would love to hear how others have dealt with this since I can't believe I'm the only one. Please help!
It's impossible to sandwich a quilt on the floor and have it turn out the way you want. I use two saw horses (you can get the light wt. aluminum folding type) and then use a couple scrap doors side by side or get a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood. Now you have a large table on which to sandwich your quilt. I realize space might be an issue for many people but you can always use your driveway. If you want to get scrap doors (which are nice because they're smaller than the plywood) - check with your neighborhood handyman and very likely he'll save his next two scrap doors for you.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by jeank View Post
for large quilts to pin, check with your church, local senior center or library and ask if you may use their banquet tables for about an hour.

Most would be happy to let you pin your quilt.
Our church has great tables in the social hall where when it's not in use we can easily move/slide them as we like and when done, move them back where we found them.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:09 AM

I take all the blankets, sheets, and mattress pads off a king-size bed and sandwich it on there. It has worked fine for me.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:09 AM

I do mine on top of my queen size bed. I have done em on the floor, but it's a B!
Old 08-11-2012, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by Latrinka View Post
I do mine on top of my queen size bed. I have done em on the floor, but it's a B!
Always do mine on top of my queen size bed. Strip the bed to matress, cover with an old sheet and go at it.
Easy peasy and no crawling on the floor and no sticky mess to clean up!!!!!!!
Old 08-11-2012, 05:15 AM

I have quilt frames. The 100 year old sticks are for a double bed at the largest, so my son made me two 9 foot sticks with the baseboards that came out of the house in which I live. This was really good wood. Then last year I made two 48 inch sticks for baby quilts and wall hangings. I have stapled a strip of denim on all of these, and they go together with bolts. When the quilt is pinned onto these, there are no wrinkles! Our neighbor, George, threatened to use our stretched quilts for a trampoline. In my kitchen I set it up over the counter with chairs holding the other two corners. In my living room I use the dining table under the frame and chairs under corners that are not supported by the table. When our homemakers club ties quilts for charity, we go to the town hall and use the long tables there.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:25 AM

I use the tables at our church fellowship hall. So much of the time it isn't being used, so they let me push tables together & pin my quilts there. You might even find some others that are in the same boat that would want to do the same & you could make a day of it. Just an idea! Hope you work it out so you can pin in a little more comfortable manner.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:36 AM

I use two long tables from Office Depot. I keep them against the wall when not in use.