Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Problems with rotary cutter >

Problems with rotary cutter

Problems with rotary cutter

Old 09-26-2010, 03:11 PM

Hi, Has anyone else had a problem with a Martelli rotary cutter. I purchased one at the Harrisburg show several years ago. The fact that the demonstrators were attractive young men had nothing to do with my purchase. I like the large blade and the handle that is shapped to protect my poor wrists. The problem is with much use the blade needs changing and it is impossible to remove the present one and put a new on in the cutter. I consulted a lady at a recent local quilt show who was selling them. The young men who sold me the cutter bragged about it never needing a new blade and then recommended that I purchase extra ones..DUH! She assured me that the blades would dull. She also confirmed my discovery that it was a left handed screw. Which is the opposite of how most things tighten and loosen which confirms that a man invented it. My husband who has been a machinist for 50 years couldn't remove the old blade either. The screw that is supposed to loosen to make possible changing the blade will not budge even with all of the tools in our garage. I tried to contact the company through their web site but it doesn't seem to do anything but advertize. Any suggestions?
Old 09-26-2010, 03:28 PM

Can you show us a picture of it? Seems strange.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:29 PM

no help but thanks for the warning.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by mpspeedy
The problem is with much use the blade needs changing and it is impossible to remove the present one and put a new on in the cutter..................... She also confirmed my discovery that it was a left handed screw.................. The screw that is supposed to loosen to make possible changing the blade will not budge even with all of the tools in our garage. I tried to contact the company through their web site but it doesn't seem to do anything but advertize. Any suggestions?
I, too, had this problem with this cutter the first time I changed the blade. Keep working on the screw and make sure you turn it like you are tightening it to take it off. It is made so that it won't come loose with use. You may have tightened it so tight while trying to get it off. I turned mine so far I thought I'd never get it off! Also, they say that you can not use any other blades but the Martinelli in them, well I can tell you that's wrong! I use what ever blade that is on sale in all of my cutters including the Harbor Freight ones..... Good luck getting the thing to come apart, I know how frustrating it can be.......
Old 09-26-2010, 03:57 PM

I have one and when I read your post I looked at mine. You're right, the normal "righty tighty, lefty loosey" didn't work--it's just the opposite. I turned the screw to the right, it loosened, took it out and then lifted the blade out. I took a picture of mine with the screw attached and out. One thing, you have to move the guard out of the way to slide the blade out.

blade out
[ATTACH=CONFIG]104508[/ATTACH]

The writing on the cutter shows which way to unscrew
[ATTACH=CONFIG]104509[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-104503.jpe   attachment-104504.jpe  
Old 09-26-2010, 04:43 PM

I am totally against the Martelli cutters. I bought the large and small ones at a show as did two other friends I was with. All - and I do mean all - of our cutters broke within a month of purchase. Mine was the auto closing mechanism and I believe the spring came out of one friend's cutter. Anyway, after attempting contact with the company several times, none of us ever received any response! Naturally they will never receive any business from us for any product they sell in the future. We also will be vigilant in warning anyone who asks about their lack of quality and poor customer satisfaction.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:07 PM
Power Poster

what kind of cutting mat do you have and how old is it?
Old 09-26-2010, 06:06 PM

I have had two of these cutters in the last year. I really liked using them, but both broke! It has a spring that breaks so that you cannot close the blade. Not good!
I had to go back to the Olfa which is not ergonomic.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:08 PM

I have had two of these cutters in the last year. I really liked using them, but both broke! It has a spring that breaks so that you cannot close the blade. Not good!
I had to go back to the Olfa which is not ergonomic.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:51 AM

Would the place you purchased them at take them back? I only have used the original olfa ones and never had any problems....but I do understand some people needing a more ergonomic one.