Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Problems with sashing on dresden plate quilt >

Problems with sashing on dresden plate quilt

Problems with sashing on dresden plate quilt

Old 01-05-2011, 10:44 AM
Power Poster

Are you pre-measuring and cutting your sashing strips? You really need to do that; otherwise quilts tend to "grow" in unwanted ways.

Another question: have you pinned two rows together without sashing just to make sure that your rows are of equal lengths?

Also, are you marking the wrong side of your sashing before sewing two rows together? If not, that should help. After adding sashing to the bottom of the first row, turn it over and (using a pencil and ruler) mark the seam lines into the sashing strip. Pin the next row to that sashing strip before sewing, matching the seams on the 2nd row with the lines you have marked on the sashing. If the sashing is a little full, ease the sashing to match the new row. If a block in the new row has a little excess fabric, ease that to the sashing. Doing this will ensure that your blocks are all lined up with each other.

If you do this without pre-measuring and pre-cutting the long sashing strip, I think you will find that you have excess sashing to ease in on every block.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:11 AM

My first questions would be - did you square each block up before you started? That can make an extreme difference. It appears that you are sewing all the way across or down your rows with a single piece of fabric. I have found that you will come up with different sizes and will be unhappy. If you measure your sashing to the exact size (i.e. 6" x 22" - if that's what the smallest block measures to) and sew on that on one both sides, then sew the 6X22 plus the block that should be 6x6 on the opposite side - you may have better results - anyway I find I have better results when I do it that way. I have a quilt top right now I have to take totally apart that I did in many years ago past and have kind of the same issues going on because I wasn't precise and when I look at it today I can't stand it (LOL).