Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Projects from Quilt Magazines >

Projects from Quilt Magazines

Projects from Quilt Magazines

Old 04-13-2015, 03:59 PM

I usually go through my own magazines. I have more than a couple I have ear-marked and haven't gotten to yet.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:23 PM

I have collected magazines for many years, too. That's why I rarely buy one anymore. LOL Plus, I like the old ones better than the new ones. That probably says something about my age.
I have made quilts from magazines, but I think you need to be careful about the directions and measurements. Magazines make more mistakes than books. Make sample blocks first.
I still love them for inspiration and ideas, though. I store them in a funky little 'ol book case my DH made in shop when he was in Jr. High. Love it and the mags.
Old 04-13-2015, 06:19 PM

I agree with everyone on this I have to many magazines and seldom make anything from them as I usually pick up a pattern I like and again that depends on the designers copyright if it limits how many I can make or the selling of them I will never buy them I then go to the free patterns as I have a daughter with a B&B and I have quilts in her rooms with a choice of buying if they really like them so I want to make sure it is a pattern that will cause no trouble and some of these new magazines and or patterns has to many rules for me to use I do not find this in the old magazines I do respect their copyright laws and do try to do the right thing but also want to sell my quilts so am careful with patterns
Old 04-14-2015, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt View Post
I take and enjoy McCall's Quilting and Better Homes and Gardens. I am currently making the quilt in McCall's that is in 6 parts. It is really fun to do and I am loving it. I am on part 3 now in the latest issue. I am making it from my stash. I am not sure I will renew BH&G. I may just start checking them out on the newsstand to see if I want them. I have post-it notes sticking out of a stack of the magazines and I usually make those. If I am not going to make something I take the magazines to my quilting group.
Which month or months is the part three of the quilt your talking about? I must have missed it or it was a quilt I think is above my skill level. And is it in the BHG McCalls or McCalls Easy Quilts? Thank you.
Jeri
Old 04-14-2015, 09:13 PM

I must confess, I am a pattern collector. I subscribe to a few magazines and buy the rest at ebay auctions. I love to look at all the patterns, even if I don't make anything from an issue.
Tammyd