Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Projects from Quilt Magazines >

Projects from Quilt Magazines

Projects from Quilt Magazines

Old 04-12-2015, 08:06 AM

I just picked up the premier issue of Quick-to-Quilt Precuts. It has several patterns that I really like.
Old 04-12-2015, 08:47 AM
Power Poster

I have been known to make several projects from one quilt magazine, especially Christmas issues, as I get ideas for projects to make and sell at a craft fair. I used to subscribe to several quilt magazines, however, since we are on a limited budget with SS, I have renewed only a couple magazines on a regular basis. I have, however, kept older quilt magazines because I often find a pattern that strikes my fancy that I looked over previously. I do like to go through my magazines periodically and keep those that have a pattern I would like to make, then I give t hem to my girlfriend who either keeps them or passes them on. She is also a Kindergarten teacher and apparently finds pictures, etc. that her students can cut out to make art projects. I just can't see tossing them out, I would rather pass them on to someone who might find them useful. I'm afraid I'm bad about mystery quilts, as I want to see the final quilt before deciding if I want to make it, so I will wait until I have all the magazines, and until then I keep those issues together. I have done a few, going issue by issue, but I am often not satisfied at the end results - guess I'm too much of a controlling nature; although I am starting to "loosen up".
Old 04-12-2015, 10:17 AM

i take 3 quilt magazines, just because it gives me great joy and relaxation to curl up on the couch with a cuppa tea and browse through them. Consistently, i make quilts using Fons and Porter and Quilters Newsletter patterns. I have quite the collection but i have two daughters who also quilt so i know that they will become inspiration for someone.
Old 04-12-2015, 10:31 AM

When I was brand new to quilting, browsing through magazines helped me get to know my own taste in quilts. While there are beautiful quilts of all types that I love, magazines let me explore the variety and feel my response to the styles. I still love to browse through and look at quilts because there's something I like more about the way the pictures look in a book as opposed to online.
However, I've only made a couple of quilts following magazine patterns. But, I have a collection of "want-to-do" patterns as well.
Old 04-12-2015, 02:09 PM

I have started re-looking through my old magazines. Occasionally I purchase a new one, but at the moment my budget is very limited so am enjoying magazines from 10 - 15 years ago
Old 04-12-2015, 03:18 PM

I love my magazines and subscribe to McCalls and All people quilt. Oh, and Block. I also pick up a magazine here and there, like Quick Quilts or something similar. I have made quilts or items from all of these and I think I learn something from each issue. The quilts I have made, I have not had to pay for a pattern later, they are right there. Sometimes I go to their website for further information, also. I have I am one who enjoys a paper magazine, I even like the adds. I like my Kindle for books and enjoy browsing the internet, but let me hold a magazine in my hands!
Old 04-12-2015, 06:05 PM

I like Quiltmaker. "Addicted to Scraps", by Bonnie Hunter; is my current favorite. I'm making the blocks in the June issue, they use 1 1/2" strips and a 3 1/2" square for the center.
Sharon in Texas
Old 04-13-2015, 03:26 AM

I enjoy quilt "reading" quilt magazines. I don't think I've ever made a quilt from a pattern in them. I've told my children that when they see all the quilt books and magazines I have, not to wonder "why does she have all these?" but to know this was my pure enjoyment just as someone else would read books/magazines on some other subject. Some of my friends have stacks of crossword puzzle magazines, or numismatic magazines, or interior decorating magazines......why? because they bring great pleasure. My quilt magazines are definitely part of my entertainment budget!! No quilty conscience here!
Old 04-13-2015, 03:50 AM
Power Poster

I have old magazines. I don't remember if I have made any quilts from them. I do have a lot of quilt books and have made some from those. Although not from all of them. I have some marked but always pick out another or just make up patterns.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:53 AM

I bought magazines for a while and was using patterns from them, then stopped when I realized I wasn't using the patterns in them anymore. Then I started getting on-line subscriptions so I could download the issue and/or patterns I really liked and ignore the rest. It saved space and I actually looked through the patterns more often. I'm decluttering things and when I get the chance, I'll go through the magazines I have, scan the patterns I like and save them. The magazines will be given away. I don't need to keep them as long as I have the patterns and any templates that go along with t