Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: that purple thang

that purple thang

I went to a lqs and saw this and had to have it.not really knowning what to do with it. I think.beause it was purple I just thought I had to have it.yes there is one born every min.I guess it was mine. Min,but anyway want do you really use it for?

Well, what exactly is it called?
    Aronel aka Lee

what does it look like?

Quote Originally Posted by aronel View Post
    Well, what exactly is it called?
    Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
    what does it look like?
    It's called "That Purple Thang" and it looks kind of like a purple chopstick. I have one but don't know where it is right now. It's supposed to be something like a stiletto and I'd probably find it useful if I could find it at all.

Blog Entries
    I use mine all the time as a stiletto, for holding down those pesky seams when I sew over them.

Oh, I love my Purple Thang! I use it as a stiletto, to push out the corners or smooth a turned curve, hook the loop when bringing up the bobbin thread & use the flat end to "finger press" a short seam. I lives underneath the extension table on my machine along with my thread snip scissors, seam ripper and seam gauge (yes, I still use one of those things on occasion!)
    Pat from Texas

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself."

I use it as a stiletto or as a bodkin for elastic, cord, etc.

It's a pretty useful thing. The square end is a perfect 1/4 inch measure. The pointy end has a slight curve so it's perfect to smooth out the seam when you turn a curved seam. It has a slot so you can use it to run ribbon or yarn or elastic thru a casing. I'm sure there's a jillion other uses for it.

Pat, I couldn't live without my seam guages. One of the best products out there. Maybe because I grew up with one.lol

Quote Originally Posted by texpat45 View Post
    Oh, I love my Purple Thang! I use it as a stiletto, to push out the corners or smooth a turned curve, hook the loop when bringing up the bobbin thread & use the flat end to "finger press" a short seam. I lives underneath the extension table on my machine along with my thread snip scissors, seam ripper and seam gauge (yes, I still use one of those things on occasion!)
    Sewbeadit
    Montesano, Washington

This is my FAVORITE tool! the little square end fits RIGHT between the sides on my 1/4 inch foot. I can hold down any pesky seams that need to go opposite of where they THINK they should! The pointy end I use like a stylus- to hold that LAST little end I"m sewing on to stay on line...and I used it as a point turner. I think last could I had THREE... and yes, it says RIGHT on it "That Purple THANG" lol

here is a link http://www.fatquartershop.com/store/...499&page_id=17
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-02-2012 at 03:24 PM. Reason: change copyright image to link
    Beth in AZ
    www.bzyqltr.blogspot.com
    Innova 22' with Lightning Stitch and Pantovision
    Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too can become great. Mark Twain

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast