Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: that purple thang

Yes its is the Purple Thang I use mine all the itme for turning corners out, holding down small bits of seams.

It works great when you're stuffing small objects. It pushes that stuffing down really nicely!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stitchingpost View Post
    I went to a lqs and saw this and had to have it.not really knowning what to do with it. I think.beause it was purple I just thought I had to have it.yes there is one born every min.I guess it was mine. Min,but anyway want do you really use it for?
    One of the ladies on here sent me one of those!!! It's one of my favorite quilting tools! I use it for quilts that i do the pillowcase method. I have also used it in other things! That thang is just awesome!!! I hope you're enjoying yours!
    I'm so close to the first finish line, yet I feel so far away.

Quote Originally Posted by texpat45 View Post
    Oh, I love my Purple Thang! I use it as a stiletto, to push out the corners or smooth a turned curve, hook the loop when bringing up the bobbin thread & use the flat end to "finger press" a short seam. I lives underneath the extension table on my machine along with my thread snip scissors, seam ripper and seam gauge (yes, I still use one of those things on occasion!)
    Exactly, I luv my purple Thang for just about everything!
    Sondra

/when I bought mine they said it was for use in hand appliique. When using a glue stick you use
    the purple thang instead of your finger, etc. I've misplaced mine; did use it some but seemed my
    fingers did just as well without it.

It is called "purple tang". You use it to apply glue to help you with needle turn applique and also to make sure your points are "pointy". Comes in handy
    Carmen E.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I have been using mine for about 8 years..maybe more...I am always giving them as gifts! THey are one of the best tools to have in your room/sewing kit! I have one in my room, one in my sewing jar in the living room, and one in each of my two retreat/class bags!

Love my "Purple Thank" Use it for poking at corners to straighten them out & especially to hold pesky seams while you sew over them.
    Dance like no one is watching

If its long an narrow with a slight curved end on one side and flatter on the other it is wonderful. I use us when my fingers won't fit somewhere or when I need a third hand..... You will find several uses for it once you start looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnye View Post
    I use chopsticks.
    Me also. Free, last forever, easily replaceable. Try not to spend my sewing money on gadgets!

j
    It is a great tool to use to keep your fingers away from the needle when sewing on your machine. j

The Purple Thang is pretty popular on this board. It's been the subject of several threads...I like mine too!

I love that purple thang! It has many uses.

I have a purple thang and love it! I use it to push out corners in the pillowcases that I make and it works just great. I use it for other things too that need to come to a point. Better than some of the other pointy things I used to use.

I discoverd another use. My fingernails are short right now because i'm having a dermatitis issue on my finger tips and I used My Purple Thang to help take the paper backing off of some applique peices last night to expose the glue web. It worked really well to get between the fabric and paper.
    Tammy

Life Is A Banquet and Most Poor Suckers Are Starving!

Y'all convinced me that I need to get me a "purple thang". Thanks for your input everyone.
    Alma
    Nami to 6

I have 3 of them because I can never just 1 when I am looking for it. I love them - they are so useful!

That's one of my favorite tools. It is extremely helpful when doing curved piecing.

I love mine and panic when I can't find it. It comes in real handy when you come to the end of the seam and need that helping hand to keep it straight while it feeds under the needle.
    Kim

Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a dog. ~Franklin P. Jones

I have a purple thang and just love it. We made tote bags for a "Gathering" we had at church and used it then. I made
    Christmas pillowcases for my grandchildren and used to smooth out the corners on pillowcases and totes. I have had
    mine for a long time. Yes, the purple color caught me too. Josephine

Never heard of the purple thang, thanks for the www link. Now I know I will need one
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

I have a purple thang and just love it. We made tote bags for a "Gathering" we had at church and used it then. I made
    Christmas pillowcases for my grandchildren and used to smooth out the corners on pillowcases and totes. I have had
    mine for a long time. Yes, the purple color caught me too. Josephine

OMG, it is an awesome tool. When doing FMQ or Embroidery, you can use it to pull the bobbin thread to the top without damaging anything because it is plastic. The little square end is exactly 1/4" so if you are sewing seams and having trouble keeping it at a good quarter, just lay that end of the Purple Thang" in front of the needle and eliminate the guesswork. I have one with every machine and never go to a cloass without it.

Another hint.. when joining units you can lift top piece slightly to be sure everything is lined up nice and straight... love my Purple thang... and yet it is helpful when trying to get that "Scant" 1/4" seam...

Judy in Phx, AZ

I am so thankful somebody asked this. I bought one at a quilt show sev. yrs. ago & just have never used it. My fingers & fingernails are my most commonly used "tools" besides my trusty seam ripper. Now I'll look at it a little more & keep it handy to see how much I can use it. Got to find it first.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast