Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
now what do I do? >

now what do I do?

now what do I do?

Old 02-17-2012, 10:50 AM

Default now what do I do?

hi,
to date i have made one small pieced table topper (a kit) and quilted it on my machine following the shapes of the triangles and squares one quarter inch each side of the seam. it turned out ok - mistakes and all - i am learning on my own. i live in the mountains - 70 miles from any fabric or thread!
so for christmas my dauhter bought gift certificate for me at a quilt shop where she lives. i bought a pattern - applique and have had fun making it - instructions - well - not enough for me so i finshed the top - really lots of mistakes but i like it any way. i know how to make the sandwich but don't knoe how to quilt it. i did a machine blanket stitch all around the little cottages and bushes and trees. i used heat and bond. any way here is a picture - i am looking for advice on what kind of quilting - i am new to quilting - need something simple. thank you in advance.
Attached Thumbnails dscn0109.jpg  
Old 02-17-2012, 10:52 AM

I can't give you advice on the quilting (I'm a newbie as well). I just wanted to say that I love your quilt top. It's so cute.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:09 AM

I love your little cottages!
Old 02-17-2012, 11:14 AM
Power Poster

You could stitch in the ditch around all of the framework and do some echo-quilting around the house shapes.

If you want to secure the houses themselves (if they are too large for the batting requirements), you can do some outline quilting or add some ties or buttons.

It's cute.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:16 AM

That is adorable. You did a good job. I will let the pros advise on the quilting tho.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:20 AM

Love it. You did a great job. I would stitch in the ditch.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:29 AM

That is just beautiful!
Old 02-17-2012, 11:29 AM

You could look at Lean Day;s site on free motion quilting and do some machine stitching in each square or even in each design element. I tried to get a webpage name but couldn't find it on her blog. Try Free Motion Quilting for another way to find it.

Last edited by gmcsewer; 02-17-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:04 PM

I just love those little cottages! You did a wonderful job!
Old 02-17-2012, 12:05 PM

Thank you all - you are so encouraging! i will try the stitch in the ditch - i am too afraid of free motion quilting - i would have to really practice that one for a long time first. echo quilting sounds interesting - would that be like going around all the cottages in evenly spaced lines? and the ties and buttons sound interesting too. just so i have this right - stitch in the ditch means in all the seams? should i put any quilting in the sashing or on the window sills? i have a walking foot . i am not too good at it but i just love all the quilts and really have a new respect for quilters - now i know how much can go into a quilt and how much there is to learn. i like it. thank you again - now that most of my chores are done - i hope to get in the sewing room and tackle this! thank you again!
nanascottie