Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: now what do I do?

now what do I do?

hi,
    to date i have made one small pieced table topper (a kit) and quilted it on my machine following the shapes of the triangles and squares one quarter inch each side of the seam. it turned out ok - mistakes and all - i am learning on my own. i live in the mountains - 70 miles from any fabric or thread!
    so for christmas my dauhter bought gift certificate for me at a quilt shop where she lives. i bought a pattern - applique and have had fun making it - instructions - well - not enough for me so i finshed the top - really lots of mistakes but i like it any way. i know how to make the sandwich but don't knoe how to quilt it. i did a machine blanket stitch all around the little cottages and bushes and trees. i used heat and bond. any way here is a picture - i am looking for advice on what kind of quilting - i am new to quilting - need something simple. thank you in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I can't give you advice on the quilting (I'm a newbie as well). I just wanted to say that I love your quilt top. It's so cute.

I love your little cottages!

Blog Entries
    You could stitch in the ditch around all of the framework and do some echo-quilting around the house shapes.

If you want to secure the houses themselves (if they are too large for the batting requirements), you can do some outline quilting or add some ties or buttons.

It's cute.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

That is adorable. You did a good job. I will let the pros advise on the quilting tho.
    so many quilts to make, so little time.

Love it. You did a great job. I would stitch in the ditch.

Blog Entries
    That is just beautiful!

You could look at Lean Day;s site on free motion quilting and do some machine stitching in each square or even in each design element. I tried to get a webpage name but couldn't find it on her blog. Try Free Motion Quilting for another way to find it.
    Last edited by gmcsewer; 02-17-2012 at 11:32 AM.

I just love those little cottages! You did a wonderful job!

Thank you all - you are so encouraging! i will try the stitch in the ditch - i am too afraid of free motion quilting - i would have to really practice that one for a long time first. echo quilting sounds interesting - would that be like going around all the cottages in evenly spaced lines? and the ties and buttons sound interesting too. just so i have this right - stitch in the ditch means in all the seams? should i put any quilting in the sashing or on the window sills? i have a walking foot . i am not too good at it but i just love all the quilts and really have a new respect for quilters - now i know how much can go into a quilt and how much there is to learn. i like it. thank you again - now that most of my chores are done - i hope to get in the sewing room and tackle this! thank you again!
    nanascottie

I love your little cottages. They are charming. You didn't mention handquilting. Your project is small enough that you could try your hand at it and might fall in love. All you need is an embroidery frame either a wooden one or one of the PCP type ones. They sell either in any Joanns and many WAlmarts. You can baste the layers of back, batting and top together with safety pins and you have a perfectly portable project. The nice thing about handquilting is that it is so easy to remove if you don't like the results. You don't need a machine just a needle and thread and a comfy chair. You can watch TV or carry on a conversation with family or friends while you quilt. As a first project It might take you a while but unless you have a deadline what is the rush?
    I would stitch just outside the ditch around the cottages and the details of the cottages. Echoing that stitching between a 1/2" and an inch around each of the cottages would really make them pop. Again if you make a mistake the stitches are easy to remove and redo without fear of tearing or cutting the top. Just unthread the needle and use the eye end to pick out the bad stitches.
    What ever way you decide to go please show us the finished project.
    Trying to sew, quilt or read everyday.

Blog Entries
    it is totally adorable. you could shadow quilt - sew around the shape a presser foot distance and then repeat all the way to the outside. or you can pick an imaginary 'center' point and sew straight rays from the 'center' outward, but only in the white areas.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Here is what I did on my small applique. I do the diagonal lines a lot. It just speaks to me. So mark the background in each square with diagonal lines either 1/2 or 3/4 inch depending on the size of your block. a 12 inch block I may use 1 inch. There will be lots of starting and stoping. I solve the caught tails of thread by pulling my threads to the top. I hold the top thread tail and I advance the needle into the quilt sandwich. I bring the needle back up and pull the bobbin thread thru. I start to stitch then reverse stitch for 2 stitches then sew to the applique. I reverse stitch for 2 stitches go forward for 2 stitches, Stop and pull the top thread to the left. I repeat the needle down needle up action and pull both threads far enough to cut them. I start on the far side of the applique. I continue until all the lines are sewn. I sometimes start in the middle to push any wrinkles to the sides. I use a papermate mechanical pencil to mark the lines lightly. It wears off and does wash out. Here is a photo of the red and white applique. I also added the Sail Away with special stitching on it. Luann
    Attached Images Attached Images

Live Love and Laugh Enough!

thanks crafterrn, i think diagonal lines would be good - i am so new at this - but am anxious to finish it so i can start another - i seem to learn by trial and error(LOL)! i will try it - your quilts are really beautiful. your instructions are clear and really helpful - thankyou for taking the time to write them. and i thank everyone else too!

This is sooo pretty
    Kathy

That is so cute! I love it!!

Blog Entries
    You did a wonderful job!!

I agree with MadQuilter, stitch-in-the-ditch (where the seams meet) and echo quilt around the cottages. That is adorable, great job for only you second project, welcome to the world of quilting. By the way, be forewarned it can become an addiction!!HEHE

Blog Entries
    or stitch straight lines grid fashion behind the houses. great blocks!!

Blog Entries
    Oh I love that quilt. It is so bright and pretty. Listen to the experts. They know what to do.

I also love your cottages. just too cute.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

yes, you did a wonderful job those are so cute. Yes leah day is doing a wednesday fmq starting with beginners and up it should be on daystyledesign.comblogspot if you sign up for her newsletter you will get a update each wedn. for what to practice, videos etc. good luck
    Deb T

Power Poster
    Your cottages are adorable! Was it Heat and Bond light you used? Some of the heavier Heat and Bonds are hard to quilt through. You may need to just outline quilt around the edges of the shapes if it was regular Heat and Bond.

Blog Entries
    Just adorable. You did a great job. Happy quilting.

Awesome job! Maybe try and look at tutorials online but I remember the feeling. It would be really nice if you could work or see some one do it.
    Anna Quilts

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast