Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Purse/Handbag/Tote interfacing >

Purse/Handbag/Tote interfacing

Purse/Handbag/Tote interfacing

Old 07-05-2010, 09:18 AM

Just wondering what kind of interfacing you use in making purses and if you have any tricks or suggestions for applying?

I used the med/hevyweight (Pellon brand) for my first bag and had some problems with a few spots attaching. I pinned the interfacing to the fabric around the outer edges then lightly ironed the egdes and removed the pins. I then wet a dishtowel and put it over the interfacing and pressed with the iron until I covered all the interfacing. I would press each section for about 10 seconds.

Also, I went to a LQS a couple days ago to pick up more interfacing and they recommended some really stiff type interfacing that a lot of people were buying for purses. I was going to buy some but it was over $9.00 a yard! Just wonderded if anyone has used anything like that and if it was worth the money??

Thanks in advance,
Kim
Old 07-05-2010, 09:23 AM

I use the Pellon Decor Fuse. With some fabrics I have to press down harder with the iron and leave it in place longer.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:31 AM

Kim, Was the stuff your LQS suggested called Peltex or Timtex? I have used that in other projects and it is really stiff. I just finished a mini- Bow Tuck bag and used fusible fleece in it. The only place I am not happy with the fusible fleece is up near the top of the bag where it seems 'saggy' to me. I was thinking about trying some of the Peltex just around the top the next time I do one. Is it worth the money? I really can't say..but I guess it is, if you want something you are going to be happy with and use. I would hate to spend the time/money making a bag and then just leave it sitting on a shelf because it didn't turn out the way I hoped it would.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:52 PM
Power Poster

I used fusible fleece too. I liked the way it turned out.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:53 AM

i used my serger and fuseable i found the fuseable did not fuse well
if you don`t have a serger how about machine basting the batting to your fabric.
Gale
Old 07-06-2010, 03:01 AM

I love making purses and totes ... I used double cotton blend batting and quilt it well. If I use interfacing - I do what you have described, hot iron on damp fabric (right side up).

Best of luck ...
Old 07-06-2010, 03:08 AM

I use the pellon 808, if you want it stiffer use 2 layers.
haven't had a problem.
But I always baste the interfacing on top of ironing.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Pam B
Kim, Was the stuff your LQS suggested called Peltex or Timtex? I have used that in other projects and it is really stiff. I just finished a mini- Bow Tuck bag and used fusible fleece in it. The only place I am not happy with the fusible fleece is up near the top of the bag where it seems 'saggy' to me. I was thinking about trying some of the Peltex just around the top the next time I do one. Is it worth the money? I really can't say..but I guess it is, if you want something you are going to be happy with and use. I would hate to spend the time/money making a bag and then just leave it sitting on a shelf because it didn't turn out the way I hoped it would.
Thanks Pam. I'm thinking it was the Peltex. I may just give it a try. It certainly seemed like something that would hold up. Thanks!
Old 07-06-2010, 06:45 PM

I had not considered basting the interfacing to the fabric. That's a good idea so I will try that out in the future.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions! :)

Kim
Old 05-31-2011, 02:30 PM

Thanks, all.