Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
In pursuit of the perfect pincushion... >

In pursuit of the perfect pincushion...

In pursuit of the perfect pincushion...

Old 04-20-2015, 03:05 PM

Maryellen2u
YES I can hardly type with out pouding and the wordsreconstanly missing lettes. See, I ddn't go back and crrect.
y
Old 04-20-2015, 06:19 PM

A really easy way to make one is to take random square of fabric (or a random orphan quilt block) twice the finished size you want for your pin cushion. Stitch it together with the corners ending up in the center of the top or bottom (your choice). Can even use up some quilting practice pieces this way.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:21 PM

I had the same problem so I made a rectangle about 3 inches by 5 inches, stuffed it, added wrist length elastic to it and wear it on my wrist. As a matter of fact I made two as I use both hands for sewing so I can take or deposit pins from both wrists. Works great for me.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:27 PM

I know that you said that you wanted to make this pin cushion, BUT----those magnetic pin cushions are amazing..$10
I have 3 of them---one at the cutting table, one at the machine, and one at the ironing board....use them all !!!!.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:00 AM
Power Poster

Try searching for "pincushion" on Pinterest and you'll see tons of cute ones you can make.

https://www.pinterest.com/search/pin...ions&term_meta

Last edited by sewbizgirl; 04-21-2015 at 06:09 AM.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:40 AM

I have collected many pincushions!! By far may favorite workstation one is a lovely violets teacup glued to it's saucer with a purple velvet cushion in the cup. It can hold many pins and needles and holds my thimble, marking chalk and seam ripper on the saucer. I sometimes cover it with a small glass cheese dome to keep it clean and away from children and pets.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:12 PM

I went to resale shops and found teacups and collectors cup and saucers. I made pincushions from all of them (15 in all) and gave them as Christmas gifts to the ladies I quilt with on Wednesdays. I stuffed them with walnut shell. Everyone was different. They really love them and use them all the time.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:00 AM

I use wool. Any container can be used. I use wool scraps, wool I find at quilt shows, old men's suits..women's skirts.. the list goes on. I then stuff the pincushion w/ wool that I actually got from a place that sheer sheep. The lanolin in the wool stuffing is great for pins. The tricky(er) part is getting lots of stuffing in there to be firm...

Here's one that I made for my mom. It sits on the dresser to put straight pins in, I love having pins available in my bedroom. I wouldn't use it in my sewing room, it'd get knocked on to the floor in no time! LOL!!

.[ATTACH=CONFIG]517720[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 002.jpg