Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
In pursuit of the perfect pincushion... >

In pursuit of the perfect pincushion...

In pursuit of the perfect pincushion...

Old 04-19-2015, 10:51 AM

Mine is 7x3 with a dead chicken appliqued on it and has piping all around. Cut 2 pieces of fabric 7 1/2 by 3 1/2. Sew piping all around if you want this extra element. If you like you can applique a flower, leaves on a long stem. Sew the the two pieces leaving a short end open. Cut 2 pieces of muslin same size : 7 1/2 x 3 1/2, sew the two pieces together again leaving a short end open. Fill with either crushed walnut shells or fiberfill. Some people using leftover batting. Sew the opening close. Insert a 7 x 3 piece of carboard (this will prevent the pins from be pushed through the bottom) Insert the filled muslin cushion into the pretty cover and sew the open end closed.
I used crushed walnut shells as this gives weight, keeping the pin cushion in one place and with this size I have lots of room for the pins.
Old 04-19-2015, 11:32 AM

This is my favorite pin cusion of all time. From Pennys Hands blog, the tutorial is easy to follow. I can keep my pins and scissors right handy.
Old 04-19-2015, 11:49 AM

Love everyone's pin cushions.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:40 PM

My 2 favorite pin cushions. 1st one is rolled felted wool and the 2nd one is a flower pin cushion made on a jam jar. The flower is filled with wool scraps and the jar holds pins too. Love them both.
Attached Thumbnails img_0485.jpg   img_0484.jpg  
Old 04-19-2015, 03:37 PM

Our guild is making pincushions for a grab bag at our June dinner, in lieu of a f/q exchange. Come join us and take your pick LOL. We're in NJ and we'd love to see you!
Old 04-19-2015, 09:10 PM

I have one of those cute little chickens. It is a triangle shape that sits on my sewing table so well. It is ancient. I don't know what I will do when she clucks her last cluck! Does any one else find it difficult to enter a comment? I have t pound the keys so hard it makes my fingers hurt. Only on this site. Sometimes the letters do this:
h
a
v
Old 04-19-2015, 09:43 PM

I've made two that I love. Can't find a photo at the moment but try to picture a pincushion the size and shape of a brick.

It's low, heavy, large, and flat so it doesn't scoot around on the table, it holds a ton of pins, you don't have to aim to hit it, and it's easy to find in your sewing room (hypothetically).

I made mine from black and white and red scraps and appliqued the word "ouch" on top. Stuffed it with lots of little scraps.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:08 AM

Just use two squares of fabric the same size, you decide how big, then stitch with right sides facing placing the corner of one square in the center of each side on the other square leaving a opening of stuffing, turn out stuff and sew opening closed. I added a button in the center, but this is not necessary.
Attached Thumbnails 085-2-.jpg  

Last edited by Suziuki; 04-20-2015 at 01:22 AM. Reason: Add a photo
Old 04-20-2015, 06:19 AM

Thanks to all who posted. There are some beautiful pincushions in the hands of you sewists.

This is what I came up with as a temporary fix. Since I had tuna for lunch the previous day, I went with the tuna can idea that someone linked to. My execution was pretty bad but the piece actually serves my needs very well. I glued felt to the bottom because I use a vintage wood sewing machine cabinet and I didn't want to scratch it. I glued some lace around the can for decor, but I did a pretty bad job of it!

A friend from this board has offered me her magnetic pin holder so I'll give that a try too.

For now, I am 100% happier with this pincushion than my tomato. It will do just fine until I make a final decision or until I eat another can of tuna.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]517456[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails pincushion.jpg  

Last edited by KenmoreGal2; 04-20-2015 at 06:22 AM. Reason: I almost didn't post my picture because I think my pincushion looks so bad!! But it works fine.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:59 PM

In Feb. I was at quilting retreat where we had the option to bring, for trading, a homemade pincushion. I made the Chicken from MSQC. I received a plain tube about 5 inches long and a tish wider than an inch, filled with walnut shells.
I'm thinking I spent time on mine! But!! It does not roll or move, I never miss sticking the pin into it if I don't take my eyes off the sewing machine and if you are trying keep a magazine pattern open it works perfect for that too. My choice for best pin cushion is the magnet or my worm on steroids.