Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: "put the eye of the needle throgh the knot"

"put the eye of the needle throgh the knot"

I was working on my cathedral windows quilt today on the bus. The woman next to me suddenly elbowed me and said "to make it work right and not come undone, you need to put the eye of the needle through the knot". Hmmm. I don't get it. So I asked her what she meant. She then began talking quite animatedly about making cranberry nut loafs. You find all kinds on the Boston city busses.

So my question is this - I have simply been tying a knot and letting 'er rip. Now I am afraid it will all come undone when washed (or even used). Was this woman right? and, if so, how do I "put the eye of the needle through the knot"?

Make any sense?

ps - I would google this, but my computer is quite old and no longer "googles". Not quite sure why.

Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Maybe she meant to do a french knot? http://www.needlenthread.com/2006/11...-tutorial.html When I googled "pass eye of the needle through the knot" I got several hits for french knots
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Power Poster
    She might have been talking about getting the knot down close to your work? When you tie a knot and it looks like it is going to too far from the work, before you pull it tight, insert the needle tip (tip not the eye)in the loop of the knot and pull on the thread tail as you slide the knot down tight to the work with the needle tip. Pull the needle tip out just before giving the knot a good tug to get it tight. Clear as mud right? It is hard to describe but easy to do.

yes. clear as mud... I will read that over and over until i get it. Thank you both for your advice!

I guess I am really dense! I do not get it other than maybe the french knot!

Unless she's talking about making a quilters knot? I still can't do one, it just pulls out every time.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

I was baffled at first, and then I thought of how I make knots when I'm embroidering – I wrap the thread a few times around the tip and then slide the wraps (which become the knot) down over the eye of the needle, down the thread, till it's a knot at the end.

I never would have described it the way she did, but like you said, you find all kinds, and not just in Boston!

This was an interesting discussion for - being from NYC I would have just assumed she was nuts and moved on. Instead you all treated her comment as legit and I have learned how to tye a knot for embroidery. Thanks ladies for being kind and gentle.

Blog Entries
    If you have trouble popping the knot in the fabric, put your thumbnail over the knot and it will pop into the fabric with no pull on the fabric at all. Once the knot is inside the fabric it's going to stay there.
    Got fabric?

Quilters take their information from all sorts of sources and kindness is a virtue most quilters have. If only more people were like quilters perhaps it would truly be a kinder more gentler place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Petey View Post
    This was an interesting discussion for - being from NYC I would have just assumed she was nuts and moved on. Instead you all treated her comment as legit and I have learned how to tye a knot for embroidery. Thanks ladies for being kind and gentle.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast