Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
putting a little pocket on the back of a quilt - have you done this? >

putting a little pocket on the back of a quilt - have you done this?

putting a little pocket on the back of a quilt - have you done this?

Old 09-03-2016, 05:04 AM

I'd make a zippered pocket. I'd be afraid that the rosary could slip out of a flap pocket while sleeping.
Old 09-03-2016, 06:34 AM

Kids like little hidey-holes too.
Old 09-03-2016, 06:45 AM
Power Poster

When I debone a shirt, I save the button strips and pockets and cuffs (from the long sleeves). These all make great pockets for the right quilt. Shirts make great pillow cases.
Old 09-04-2016, 02:38 AM

Make the pocket as you would for a blouse, then hand blanket stitch around the 3 open edges. Or did you want a top flap to button down to help hold the rosary in?
Old 09-04-2016, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
One of my favorite older boy quilts is the disappearing four patch in cream and brown prints and putting the Call of the Wild book in the pocket. Jane Eyre for the older girls using pretty floral and solid prints in the disappearing hour glass block.
What a great idea! Not enough young people read either of these great books anymore, and they should. I hope and believe that your gifting them increases the chances!
Old 09-04-2016, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by elnan View Post
I was going to ask what pattern, what size is your favorite for donation quilts. I like your idea of pattern and colors for boys' quilts, and think I will start including an age appropriate book, Patrick McManus (They Shoot Canoes, Don't They) being one of my favorites for all ages. Thank you for the idea.

Patrick McManus!!! So wonderful to see this talented writer's name mentioned here! I love him! I first discovered his writing years ago in Field and Stream and have loved him and have followed his career -- and his publications -- ever since. Brilliantly funny!
Old 09-04-2016, 04:10 AM

Several years ago I made a jeans and flannel shirt quilt for my son. Used a pocket from the jeans for a pocket on the back to put remotes, etc. into. Also wrote on it for the label. I like that idea of putting a zipper as it would be securely closed though. A pocket would be good also for a quilt with a story. Write the story for inclusion so it doesn't become lost from the quilt as time goes on.
Old 09-04-2016, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by krafty14 View Post
If you sew the pocket in a corner, the binding will hold 2 sides and you only have to stitch 2 sides instead of 4. I machine sew my binding on the back and then machine sew on the front. So I only have a little of hand sewing for my label, or pocket.
This is what I would do. But you only need to sew one more side. The fourth side is the opening to the pocket, so a little Velcro here would hold the rosary.
Old 09-04-2016, 05:10 AM

Quilt it first, then put the pocket on. Add a flap that closes with either velcro or a snap. Putting it in the corner and sew it down with the binding and that will take care of 2 sides. I would probably sew the other side by machine to make it sturdier and just sew thru all of the layers.
Old 09-04-2016, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by krafty14 View Post
If you sew the pocket in a corner, the binding will hold 2 sides and you only have to stitch 2 sides instead of 4. I machine sew my binding on the back and then machine sew on the front. So I only have a little of hand sewing for my label, or pocket.
I sew all my labels like this, it would be simple to not stitch the top. I generally encase the other two sides in binding also, just to continue the look.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]557459[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails ztims-quilt-label.jpg