Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Q Retreat-1st time! >

Q Retreat-1st time!

Q Retreat-1st time!

Old 03-01-2015, 08:13 PM

lots of fun. Remember all your supplies and take extra needles pins, painters tape and markers. Chocolate is always loved by those you quilt with. Relax and enjoy.When I went on retreats is wAS lots of fun
Old 03-01-2015, 08:13 PM

I'm not sleeping there. Unlike when I was young, and did not have Rheumatoid Arthritis and Fibromyalgia, I now need a quiet place to sleep in the afternoon and at night.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:15 PM

good advice
Old 03-02-2015, 04:52 AM

I'll look forward to your post-retreat post and I hope you have a marvelous time!
Old 03-02-2015, 05:07 AM

Have a wonderful time! I have been to two and have loved them both. You'll meet the nicest group of ladies.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:36 AM

Let me know how it is. thanks to the others for their advice also. I too am going on my first quilt retreat in e April.

I will be a day commuter Sun through Wed. it will be about a 45 min drive each way.
The one I am going on , the instructors are 2 Pettway women from Gees Bend quilters. I have never done that style of quilting but I am willing to learn a new way. Oh I think its going to be fun.!
I too live in the country and don't belong to any quilt guild. We make our own entertainment, today us "girls" are meeting at my house to have homemade pineapple cheesecake and coffee.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:45 AM

I will be going to my second retreat in April. What I learned from the first retreat, was that I had expectations of sewing SOOOOO much, which kept me from enjoying the social aspect. This time, I will be taking a couple of small projects and if they do not get finished, so be it. Instead I will go to all the demos, really make an effort to look at other quilters' projects, and have more fun.

Don't forget your camera, extra batteries and a notepad. Enjoy!
Old 03-02-2015, 09:01 AM

Retreats are so much fun. I am going to go on one the end of March and love reading about others and their experiences.

The one I will be attending will have around 20 to 25 ladies. It is about two hours away. We will be there for four nights. The rooms are great with three or four to a room with a private bath and the food...well, let's just say you need to have taken off about ten pounds before you go because you will gain at least that much.
Ours will be a do your own thing retreat. A few of us are doing the same pattern in our own colorways. I always take a whole lot more projects than I will complete. Each time I go to a retreat I take less stuff.

The one we go to has a small fabric shop so if you forget something you can buy it there. You get a 15% discount if you are on a retreat. They have most everything you might need if you have forgotten something.

We also dress very casually. PJs if you want or you can wear designer anything. Completely up to the individual.

Hope you have a great time. The very best part is getting to know the other participants. Seems like we always come home with fun stories and a more or less finished project.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:04 AM

Prepare a few projects ahead of time so that the cutting is done already. Having the projects on hand so the you can rotate them will keep you from getting sleepy. It does work. Have a wonderful time!
Old 03-03-2015, 04:27 AM

lucky you... I think a retreat would be a lot of fun. Years ago I attended a scrapbooking retreat on the coast of Northern California and it was a blast. It was like being at camp, modest amenities with just "okay" food. Yours sounds more enjoyable but I would still take a few snacks just in case. : )

I think it would be fun to share ideas with other quilters. Have a great time!