Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Q Retreat-1st time! >

Q Retreat-1st time!

Q Retreat-1st time!

Old 03-04-2015, 10:27 AM

Just returned from my 3rd retreat, and have had a great time at each one! i didn't know what to expect the first time, but was eager to play...took about 10 small projects and finished most of them (at least tops, not finished quilts). Only took 4 projects to the 2nd one and 3 for this last one, only finished 2. But the top for a king size quilt and a throw are done and ready to quilt!

I didn't know so many kind and wonderful people could all be contained in one room! Sharing advice, information and tools when needed was the order of the day. Do bring your chair if you can! I didn't the first time and was so very sorry!

Now for some humor...this retreat is about an hour from most of our homes, but one lady lives about 15 minutes away. First retreat, she ran home for extra blankets for a lady that wasn't prepared for the cold. Second time, we ran to a local (30min drive) shop for thread and some other things (lots of fabric, but no one is telling). This last retreat was sort of funny...first gal "oh no, I forgot my bobbin case"..husband met her 1/2 way and we stopped at fabric shop. Second gal, "oh no, I don't have my foot pedal" and home she went for that. Third gal, "I can't beleive it, I went off without towel or bedding!" Back to close-by home for those things, called her while she was on the way and asked for additional lighting as well (take an individual table or floor lamp, very nice to be able to see) and so much stuff was borrowed back and forth.

I spent a good bit of time cleaning machines for ladies that didn't realize that made them run better! I would advise a roll of duct tape or clear packing tape to hold your extension cords down so tripping is not an issue! We shared lots of snacks, meals were provided in the dining hall, very filling, desserts were amazing. If you are allowed, and like wine, take some to share. Christian retreat didn't allow that. But we had homemade choc covered peanut clusters, lots of fruit, chips, popcorn and drinks for inbetween meals and late nite snacks. Food is a big part of these things! Slippers if your feet get cold, I go barefoot, and ear plugs so if there are folks that snore you can sleep. Have fun, don't forget your jammies, I sewed all day in mine!
Old 03-05-2015, 09:39 AM

Oh, you will have a wonderful time, its great! Lots of good company, food, shopping, sewing, napping, reading, whatever. Bring lots of projects, I know I never know what I want to work on. Lately, I've been bringing UFOs. I just love get-a-aways. I have two coming up, one this month and one next month. Enjoy!
Old 03-07-2015, 10:45 AM

Thank you to everybody! I learned so much from all your comments and good advice! Your enthusiasm is so contagious!
To those of you who cannot afford to go to a quilt retreat, here is how I was able to manage this. Far in advance, actually last summer, I began to tell and remind my family that contributions towards this adventure was all I wanted for Christmas and my Jan birthday. I decreased the fee by sleeping and breakfast at my daughter's nearby and I will use my own fabric stash. My amazing family listened and honored my wish, so much so that, I only had to save up 1/2 the amount. So, at least this one time, I can go to a big quilt retreat.... I'm so excited!
Old 03-23-2015, 05:39 PM

I followed all your advice and had a wonderful time! I wrote about it in our Pictures section and thought I uploaded a few photos, but I don't see them.... why?
Old 03-23-2015, 09:22 PM

ok, guess what. My post on Pictures was deleted because I broke some rules. My fault. Having never posted on the Pictures, I should've read the rules first. I will eliminate discussing and showing patterns and I will not make my referrals to websites. Oopsie! You'll have to wait though for me to get my question answered about how to put photos on. Hopefully, I'll be able to show you a few general photos. I'm still confused about if I can show you my friends holding up their quilt tops they pieced there. We all brought projects from home that we worked on inbetween all the times for lessons and eating and rushing out to see the whales go by! Anyway, watch for me on Pictures.
Cathy
Old 03-24-2015, 04:57 AM

I know you are already back, and I am looking forward to seeing your pictures. My little piece of advice for others is to take a portable sewing table if you have one. I have a Gidgit (sp?) table set up for my machine. It is very portable, folding up pretty thin and having wheels. It was so much better for my back than sewing at a folding table! The flat surface was also helpful to keep things straight.

Pam
Old 03-24-2015, 02:51 PM

Pam, you're right, a few of the ladies did that! I took an extra wide, dark wooden tv tray from next to the dumpster there. The woman said she no longer wanted it because of paint bubbles on top. Lucky me! I found it quite helpful. My husband will sand the tabletop and stain it for me.
Cathy