Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Q Retreat-1st time! >

Q Retreat-1st time!

Q Retreat-1st time!

Old 03-01-2015, 11:56 AM

Default Q Retreat-1st time!

I am going to my first Quilt Retreat in 2 weeks!

Camp Ocean Pines in Cambria, CA with ocean views & access
instructor: Rob Appell
big raves about chef too!

What is a quilt retreat like? Any advice?
Old 03-01-2015, 12:26 PM

Default Quilt retreat

Originally Posted by quiltswithdogs View Post

It can be the time of your life. I am fortunate enough to have been a stay at home wife and mother for many years. My daughter and step-son have long since moved out to their own homes and families. I no longer belong to a guild but when I did I went on at least two retreats with them. Ours was held at a church camp that had dorm like sleeping facilities. We were able to set up our machines and quilting stuff in a large room which easily allowed each of us to have her own table. It has been at least ten years so some of my memories are iffy. I believe there was a large layout/cutting area set up by putting two or four tables together. We took our meals in the camps dining hall. We also had snacks and drinks set up in the work area that we all brought to share. It was a lot of fun to see what everyone was working on. Advice flew back and forth and everyone enjoyed sharing what they were working on and exchanging advice. I was lucky enough to be one of the members who didn't work outside my home. I felt kind of guilty that I could have had as much freedom at home but I certainly enjoyed the adult company. I could have gotten more done at home. Members who worked outside the home enjoyed being able to work on their quilt projects all day and night if they wished. Those who left children at home also enjoyed not having to prepare meals and cater to young ones and spouses. I think that there where planned projects offered to those who wanted to do them. The nice part was that it was voluntary. All those attending were more than willing to offer advice or help to others perhaps less experienced. The group I went with boasted Mimi Dietrich as one of their founding Mothers. If I remember right she was at one of the retreats. She is a real down to earth lady and just one of the girls. The last day we had show and tell and swapped contact information with each other. It was a large quild so many of us only knew each other by face before the retreat. It has been at least ten years since I went on the last retreat. At 64 and a good hour's drive from the guild meetings I have kind of let it go. I don't even attend the local guild I was a member of for many years. It is only a 25 minute drive but it meets at night. A quilt retreat is a great way to make quilting friends, get a lot of work done and have a great time.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:04 PM

Thanks, I'll have to report back about my experience when I come back!
Old 03-01-2015, 01:31 PM
Power Poster

i saved this post by Thimblebug about what you should bring: http://www.quiltingboard.com/blogs/g...st-b11684.html
Old 03-01-2015, 01:44 PM

Wow, thanks!
Old 03-01-2015, 04:13 PM

I love quilt retreats!

I belong to a loosely organized group of quilters and we go on retreat once or twice a year. You really get to know everyone a lot better on a retreat. It's pretty much as mpspeedy says. Our group prefers not to have dorm-like sleeping arrangements, so we go to locations that give us individual rooms.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:30 PM

Yes please report back. I just love Rob Appell and would love to take anything with him. He is very talented and enthuastic.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:52 PM

I've never been to a quilt retreat - but it sounds like fun. Would love to hear about your experience when you return - I would love to attend a retreat one day myself. I must say that I identify with your quilt name - I live very rural - there is no quilt guild near me - just me and my 3 French Bulldogs - as they love to sit nearby as I sew. Good luck and have fun on your retreat - Rob Apell looks very enthusiastic.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by quiltswithdogs View Post

I love him on YouTube. Bet this will be a fun retreat. He has so much enthusiasm. Be sure to give us a report.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:32 PM
Power Poster

Make sure that you label everything, including your machine, power cords & foot pedal!