Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Q Retreat-1st time! >

Q Retreat-1st time!

Q Retreat-1st time!

Old 03-03-2015, 05:57 AM

If possible take your own chair. You will find that sooo much better than the usual chairs they have. Have more projects ready to do than you will get done. Enjoy!!!
Old 03-03-2015, 06:35 AM

Quilt retreats are a lot of fun, and like many have stated, socializing is as fun as the quilting. I am fortunate that we live about 35 minutes from a quilt shop that has a retreat on site. They offer a yearly pass and I go monthly for 3-4 nights, and have for the past three years. I have gathered a wealth of information, and made lots of new friends I see regularly. I would think the people putting on the retreat would offer a list of supplies but I always bring an extension cord, just in case, extra needles, rotary blades etc. I would also suggest you pre-cut any blocks you will be working on as sometimes cutting and ironing tables are highly sought after and you don't want to monopolize that area for a long period of time. As you organize your project (I always take two just in case I get tired of working on one, or get hung up on some aspect), go through the directions and look for recommended rulers needed (just because you have precut strips doesn't mean you might not have to trim, square up etc.), the colors of thread needed, etc. You will undoubtedly forget something (don't make it your foot pedal or power cord however), but most quilters are generous and you will likely find someone in the group that has the right tool, thread color, etc. that you can borrow. Just relax, be open to new friends and ideas, and you will have a marvelous time.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:45 AM

I go to two retreats a year at Camp Tecumseh in Indiana. The first one is a ufo camp. The second one is a bring anything you want and a mystery quilt. I always try to have everything pre-cut.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:08 AM

I met Rob at the PIQF in October....what a nice guy! He gave me some helpful tips too. I would love to attend a retreat or workshop with him! Have a great time and I can't wait to hear about it!
Old 03-03-2015, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by imsewnso View Post
If possible take your own chair. You will find that sooo much better than the usual chairs they have. Have more projects ready to do than you will get done. Enjoy!!!
Definitely agree with that. I used to go to Empty Spools and the first two times I used the chairs Asilomar (the retreat location) provided and ended up with a backache. Then I started bringing my own chair after I bought one at Pacific International. Talk about reducing fatigue.

Retreats are definitely fun. I am planning to go to two this year - one will be with Bonnie Hunter, Debbie Caffrey, and Charlotte Agnotti (?) in Las Vegas, while the second one is up at Lake Tahoe. I can't wait.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:15 AM

I've been lurking on here for a few years, loving everyone's suggestions, and not responding to posts, but this time I really want to! I was fortunate enough to take a class at "Quilting on the beach" with Rob last month and absolutely loved it! He's very energetic, and REALLY knows machines and he's a great quilter. It you're driving to the event, I'd suggest a pillow you could use as a booster seat as generally the chairs at these events are low and the tables are high, making sewing a bit awkward. Have a great time at your retreat and just relax and enjoy it!
Old 03-03-2015, 11:16 AM

Sounds like a good time for sure. I have never been on one but someday I will. I would really love to go on a quilting cruise. That would be my dream. I love cruises & then add my love of quilting.....Perfect!!
Old 03-03-2015, 03:18 PM

My quilting group went on retreat a couple of weeks ago. We rented a lodge out in the middle of nowhere. There was no TV, no internet, and only spotty cell coverage. We (9 of us) set up our machines, cutting table, and ironing boards in the great room. We had shared bedrooms. Downstairs was a kitchen and large dining room. Some of us volunteered to bring meals, and all of us contributed snacks and breakfast foods. We had a blast! We brought UFOs and/or new projects and had 3 wonderful days of sewing, laughing, learning, and friendship. It was awesome! We're already planning another retreat in the same place for next February.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by quiltswithdogs View Post
I am going to my first Quilt Retreat in 2 weeks!

Camp Ocean Pines in Cambria, CA with ocean views & access
instructor: Rob Appell
big raves about chef too!

What is a quilt retreat like? Any advice?
I've been to Rob's retreats several times with my husband and our dog! We stayed in our camper, my husband kept the fire going in the lodge. Food is great, staff is very helpful, lighting is good! The views of the ocean from the deck are awesome, you can hear the seals and sea lions barking! You will have a great time.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:41 AM

Pack comfortable clothes, be sure to bring plenty to work on and anything that is on a list that they may have sent you. Otherwise, just go expecting to have the time of your life. Q retreats are all about having a good time