Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about doing a Bargello...... >

Question about doing a Bargello......

Question about doing a Bargello......

Old 04-21-2014, 03:28 PM

That's awesome sewmagic, Thanks for doing this for me. I will anxiously await her reply.......can't get it any straighter than from the designer
Originally Posted by sewmagic View Post
Hello,

I forwarded your question to the quilt designer. She is a local and teaches this class herself in our quilt store. Let's see what she has to say. I will let you know as soon as she answers me.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Dina View Post
And it will make a bigger quilt. I did two sizes of a Surf Song bargello. I made each strip 2 inches rather than 1 1/2 the pattern called for on the second quilt. Both quilts look good, but I really liked the one better where I followed the pattern exactly. There is a difference in the patterns of the two, though it isn't a large difference. Let me see if I can find pictures, if that helps.

Let me repeat, both look good. But it may help you decide. I know it is a different pattern.... The first picture is with the width the pattern called for. The second is i/2 inch larger for each strip.

Maybe it will help...

Dina
Dina, both quilts are gorgeous!!! Great job and thanks for your answer......it looks like "if" it did anything, it may have ever so slightly changed the curves.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:35 PM

Thanks to everyone for all of your input........I Love this board!!!! I never dreamed I'd get lucky enough for someone that knows the designer to chime in (sewmagic). QUILTERS are Awesome
Old 04-22-2014, 06:20 AM

About 9 years ago I took a class for the Twisted Bargello. The first one was using 1.5 inch strips, but you could use 2 inch strips and just get a bigger quilt. Unfortunately both were lost in our house fire, so I'll have to start all over again...someday.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:45 AM

I've made 2 Bargello's and the instructions in both called for wider strips for the different sizes. But remember that makes it longer too. Check out Jinny Breyer's website and the free patterns--the Navaho Star quilt is a bargello that is made in quarters and then put together. I made that as a king size and the method was much more manageable than a traditional bargello.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
I've made 2 Bargello's and the instructions in both called for wider strips for the different sizes. But remember that makes it longer too. Check out Jinny Breyer's website and the free patterns--the Navaho Star quilt is a bargello that is made in quarters and then put together. I made that as a king size and the method was much more manageable than a traditional bargello.
The pattern is actually Navaho winter, or Navaho sunrise....: )
Old 04-22-2014, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by cdmmiracles View Post
I am getting ready to do the Diamonds Jubilee Bargello. I want to do the king size, and all of the initial strips have to be cut 2 1/4 inches. Can I cut all these 2 1/2 inches or will that create a major catastrophy???? Just wondering, because if I can do 2 1/2" strips I can use my june tailor shape cut ruler .
Thanks so much Crystal
They are both pretty but I like the top one better..