Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about marking a quilt >

Question about marking a quilt

Question about marking a quilt

Old 07-24-2011, 07:15 AM

I want to know how some of you mark your quilt. I already basted a quilt and started quilting the main part of the quilt. I use quilting tape, as I am just doing some diagonal lines. But, now I think I need to add some quilting to the 4 inch border. Since the batting is already in place, I'm not sure how to proceed. I have gotten some much information from just reading posting on this site, so I hope someone can help.

Thanks,
Old 07-24-2011, 07:19 AM

I have quilted borders with a leaf design I printed on sheets of onion skin copy paper & pinned to the quilt top.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:29 AM

Thanks for the info. I think I know what design I will use on the border but I'm not sure how to get it onto the quilt now that it is sandwiched. I usually mark the top before i baste the layers, so I wasn't sure how to proceed.

Thanks,
Old 07-24-2011, 11:04 AM
Power Poster

Are you hand quilting or machine? I have heard good reports on the water soluable quilt pens that you just draw your design on the fabric with. I think they would work with the quilt already sandwiched. I think a pounce with chalk and stencil would also work. (With any marking method always make a test sample, quilt it and try to remove marks.) I have a Fons & Porter fine chalk pencil in white that I like on dark fabric. It is supposed to rub off but I did have to wash the quilt to remove the marks. If you are machine quilting, the golden thread papers are good or stitching through a design marked on Glad Press & Peal.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:38 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by csmomma2
Thanks for the info. I think I know what design I will use on the border but I'm not sure how to get it onto the quilt now that it is sandwiched. I usually mark the top before i baste the layers, so I wasn't sure how to proceed.

Thanks,
To transfer a design you already have on paper to a quilt top I highly recommend Transdoodle paper or Saral paper. Transdoodle you can find on line, Saral you can find at any craft supply store like Michaels, JoAnnes and the like in the decorative (tole) painting section. Buy the transfer paper and a stylus used for marking. I recommend retracing your design on tracing paper so you can see through it for placement. Place the design done on tracing paper where you want it then hold it in place and slip the saral or transdoodle underneath, chalky side down against your top, then follow the pattern line with your stylus. Once done you design will be transferred to your sandwiched quilt. I will often go over the design with a fons and porter mechanical pencil because the marks made by transdoodle rub off very easy. I will only mark a hoopful at a time. Saral may not rub off as easy. I haven't tried it myself but have heard good reviews. White is for marking on dark fabs, graphite for marking on light.