Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about Martelli cutter >

Question about Martelli cutter

Question about Martelli cutter

Old 03-01-2017, 07:20 PM

Default Question about Martelli cutter

Just got the Martelli 60mm cutter. On the card on the back it says "Cut over 30 layers of fabric at a time" This strikes me as a exaggeration. I know I would not be able to do that but has anyone cut more than 8 (which is my limit with the Olfa cutter) ?
Thanks
Old 03-01-2017, 07:30 PM

Seems to me if you cut 30 thick you would lose some size or definition of pieces. For instance, when manufactures cut out jeans, if the cutter is not perfectly vertical you end up with different sizes from the top to the bottom of the pile. That is one reason the same brand and style and size may fit very differently.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:33 PM

I have the 60 and several 45, left handed versions. I love them. There is a learning curve to cut accurately, how you place your pointer finger gives you leverage and guides the blade. They do (when new blade is used) cut very thick piles of fabric. As Carla mentioned above, accuracy is sacrificed when cutting thick piles of fabric. If you are just slicing and dicing for scrap quilts, no particular size, you can cut through great piles and make quick work. Eight layers is NO PROBLEM for these cutters, but again, watch the videos for proper use and you will love them too. No pain in my wrists after several hours of cutting. I also have their large mat, and using the combo makes cutting a breeze. The blades do last longer with the mat. I have even used Harbor Freight (Oh horrors!!) blades with better results with the mat. The cutter itself is great, the blades are great, the mat is great.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:23 AM

I wouldn't try for that many layers. By the time you get them stacked to line up you could cut several times. I have several Martelli cutters and I find the blades last longer in them than in the Olfa even though they are the same blades. The only thing I can think of is that because of the way it is held it is more stable while cutting and preserves the blade. I have been cutting lots of strips with the Shape Cutter and have not replaces the blade.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:30 AM

I love my Martelli cutters and mat. I agree that 8 to ten layers is about the limit for cutting accuracy. Different fabrics have different wts. The pile can get wobbly at a certain point.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:14 AM

I use the Martelli cutters all the time. I am working on Bali Wedding Star by Judy Niemeyer. It is paper pieced. She has templates to cut the fabric before you actually piece it. I stack the fabric 20 to 30 deep to cut using these templates. It doesn't have to be accurately cut. I have used the slotted ruler sold by Martelli to cut 12 layers of fabric. That has been accurate cuts. The ruler is made of a material that does not slip. Their cutters are the only ones you can use with the slotted rulers. They are big time savers. I love them. I have not tried to cut more than 12 layers when I needed accuracy and it dulls the blade quickly.

Last edited by Vera39760; 03-02-2017 at 06:16 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-02-2017, 07:40 AM
mac

As with most claims on products, just because it says it can doesn't mean you really want to. Sometimes it is better to error on the side of caution. Remember when a company makes a claim (and it is true), they have done it in the best possible circumstances. And even if it only works once like that, they can still make the claim as being true. So be careful.

Even though I love my Martelli cutters (60mm & 45mm), I would think long and hard about putting it through that type of rugged cutting. By the way, for some reason the 60mm cutter blades seem to last way longer than the 45mm cutting blades. No clue why, but I do love them.

Last edited by mac; 03-02-2017 at 07:43 AM.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:41 AM

I have the 45 cutter. I am having trouble getting the blade tight. It wiggles around , anyone else have this issue? Do the mats work differently than any other mat?
thanks
Susie
Old 03-02-2017, 06:08 PM
mac

Originally Posted by susie reardon View Post
I have the 45 cutter. I am having trouble getting the blade tight. It wiggles around , anyone else have this issue? Do the mats work differently than any other mat?
thanks
Susie
Have you tightened nut firmly, but not too firmly?
Old 03-03-2017, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by susie reardon View Post
thanks
Susie
If you are having problems with your Martelli cutter and want a new one, you can take the troublemaker to a show where they are selling their products and get a deep discount for a new one.