Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question on cutting borders >

Question on cutting borders

Question on cutting borders

Old 01-30-2014, 08:00 AM

Default Question on cutting borders

When you sew your long borders along the length of your quilt, do you precut the borders for both sides the same length or do you sew the borders on and cut off the excess?
Thanks.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:20 AM
Power Poster

ALWAYS measure, cut, then sew. Just sewing the border on then trimming can result in waves.
Measure down the middle of the quilt and both sides. Figure out the average length and use that measurement.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:22 AM

I first MEASURE the quilt in multiple places across the quilt, then average the measurements (never measuring the ends/edges). Then cut boarder fabric to fit the sides according the the measurement I took. Pin both sides, then sew.

This is the way my LQS taught me and I am proud to say that I haven't had 'wavy' boarders.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:25 AM
Power Poster

I measure and cut but leave a little fudge room. Yes, I want the borders without waves but I also don't want to end 1/4 inch short either. I make a mark in the seam allowance where the border and quilt top should end and TRY to get it to match.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:35 AM
Power Poster

I always measure through the middle first, then cut the borders to size. I quarter both quilt edge and border and pin to match up the ends and those marks. (If it's a really large quilt, I will do eighths.) I stretch or ease the border as necessary to match everything up.

Sewing the border on first and the cutting off the excess almost guarantees sewing excess border to the quilt edge. This in turn makes the quilt edge finish with rippling along the edge or wavy borders.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:13 AM
Power Poster

I always guess how many WOF I need for the sides. Usually I need almost 2 strips per side. I measure through the center with that strip and gently smooth it out. I cut that strip to that size, I then lay it on top of the other strip and cut that one the same size. I mark the center of the two strips and fold each end to the center pin, mark with a pin. I do the same to the quilt and pin them together. Sew those borders on, press and measure with one border strip and repeat above. My borders always come out perfect.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:16 AM

Never had a problem with waves when I cut long and trim later. If I cut to a pre-measured size I feel like I'm either stretching or scrunching to make it fit. I don't pin all the way down, maybe just 6 - 8" ahead of the needle (same with binding). Just let it lay on the quilt as you sew it on.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:22 AM

I do it exactly the same way as Jingle.

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
I always guess how many WOF I need for the sides. Usually I need almost 2 strips per side. I measure through the center with that strip and gently smooth it out. I cut that strip to that size, I then lay it on top of the other strip and cut that one the same size. I mark the center of the two strips and fold each end to the center pin, mark with a pin. I do the same to the quilt and pin them together. Sew those borders on, press and measure with one border strip and repeat above. My borders always come out perfect.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:48 AM
Power Poster

I do it like Prism. When it REALLY makes a difference is if the quilt is loaded on a rack to be quilted. I have loaded quilts on my rack that at first glance didn't seem too bad but once started loading had more waves than Waikiki beach!

It is not as noticeable when hand quilting or quilting on a DSM, UNTIL you try to hang it (like for a show) but if you never show it and you don't load into a rack to quilt, you could get away with sewing borders on and cutting to size.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
I do it like Prism. When it REALLY makes a difference is if the quilt is loaded on a rack to be quilted. I have loaded quilts on my rack that at first glance didn't seem too bad but once started loading had more waves than Waikiki beach!

It is not as noticeable when hand quilting or quilting on a DSM, UNTIL you try to hang it (like for a show) but if you never show it and you don't load into a rack to quilt, you could get away with sewing borders on and cutting to size.
Good to know. Thanks!