Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question for moms and grandmoms of little girls >

Question for moms and grandmoms of little girls

Question for moms and grandmoms of little girls

Old 03-25-2016, 01:39 PM

First, I agree that some investigation is in order. Talk to your daughter and find out if she might have encouraged the idea that you'd be fine with making her co-worker the bag. Then have a talk with your daughter so it doesn't happen again.

If it is simply a presumption this person made, I would return the fabric to her with a note explaining that you only quilt for family and loved ones. This is not behavior you want to encourage.
Old 03-25-2016, 03:52 PM

You have a very good attitude. Wish there were more people like you in the world. I agree with JanRN. Shorter strap that they could replace themselves with a longer one if they want.
Old 03-25-2016, 06:05 PM

My first thought was an adjustable strap, so it could be adjusted to whatever's appropriate. The girl will be able to lengthen it as she grows.

I'm the mom of only boys, so I will defer to others regarding what is "safe". But I think there comes a point where we have to stop wrapping our kids up in bubble wrap and protecting them from everything. I had all manner of purses with straps as a child and there was never an issue. I also roller skated without knee pads, drank from the garden hose, rode bikes without a helmet, and ran unsupervised around the neighborhood until the street lights went on. My best friend's 15 year old son is so scared of hurting himself that he refuses to try anything athletic or outdoorsy. I don't think that's a way to live life.

Off my soapbox now.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:32 PM
Power Poster

I would ask the daughter what was said for her to think you would make the bags? Then I would return the fabric and say I was too busy at this time but thanks for asking. Being sweet and old is not a license for taking advantage of anyone.
Old 03-26-2016, 03:48 AM

I think the idea of not making a shoulder strap is a good idea. Not only for safety but most little girls just want to hold the handle anyway. As the bag probably won't be very big, the handle does not have to be long. Just audition a strip of fabric for the handle and see what looks right in porportion to the bag. Little girls are short so you don't want it to drag on the ground when she carries it. Although you sound a little frustrated with the request, reasonably so, just think how proud and happy that little girl is going to be with a bag like her grandmas. It is the little things that make our children happy. Bless you for fulfilling this request. Your daughter owes you one!
Old 03-26-2016, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
My first thought was an adjustable strap, so it could be adjusted to whatever's appropriate. The girl will be able to lengthen it as she grows.

I'm the mom of only boys, so I will defer to others regarding what is "safe". But I think there comes a point where we have to stop wrapping our kids up in bubble wrap and protecting them from everything. I had all manner of purses with straps as a child and there was never an issue. I also roller skated without knee pads, drank from the garden hose, rode bikes without a helmet, and ran unsupervised around the neighborhood until the street lights went on. My best friend's 15 year old son is so scared of hurting himself that he refuses to try anything athletic or outdoorsy. I don't think that's a way to live life.

Off my soapbox now.
Singing to the choir!
Old 03-26-2016, 04:13 AM

When I'm not sure what length to make a strap, I make a "thin" one. Make it a little longer than you think it should be, then it can be knotted at the shoulder to make it the right length - right length strap and a design element.
Old 03-26-2016, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by Evy View Post
Somehow I lost what I had begun typing, so excuse any confusion on this reply!

I am supplying the batting, lining and snap. She provided the outside fabric. I don't mind making them, but it just bothers me that because you sew people just assume you want to make things for them for free. My daughter has several bags I've made (for love-not money) and I told her to just casually mention that "Mom gets $25.00 for these" so that will probably end asking for another one. And I never thought about the liability issue of a long strap on a child's bag, thank you so very much for mentioning that.
I like your plan of having your daughter say this. I would have her add: 'You know, this is a real compliment to you, my Mom usually charges $25 for one of these." Not to induce guilt, but to underscore that this was truly a gift of your time and supplies.
Old 03-26-2016, 07:14 AM

My quilt guild makes tote bags for children in bad situations and give them to the sheriffs dept, police dept, etc. The straps are never long enough for the child to put their head through.
Old 03-26-2016, 07:41 AM
Power Poster

I think I would just send the fabric back and say I'm too busy to take on any more projects. Then your daughter would also learn not to put you in this situation.