Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question on Selling Stash >

Question on Selling Stash

Question on Selling Stash

Old 05-21-2016, 06:16 PM

Default Question on Selling Stash

I have decided I need to downsize. I have chosen fabric that I am really not in love with to get rid of. My question is, what do I ask for in the way of $ per yard? I have over 340 yards to get rid of and don't want to have to cut it. I have anywhere from 1 yard to 10 yard pieces. Also I have quilt shop fabric and JoAnne and WalMart fabric and don't want to separate them. Was thinking $2 per yard???? Was going to have a pre-sale for the local quilt guild members and then sell the rest at a community yard sale. Help!
Old 05-21-2016, 06:18 PM
Power Poster

a lot of people sell here. take a picture and show them on the for sale items. people seem to do well with it.
Old 05-21-2016, 06:21 PM

Anything under $4 per yard is a bargain that most quilters cannot pass up - why not start at $4 for the pre-sale and then mark it half off for the remainder.
Old 05-21-2016, 06:28 PM

It would probably sell out quickly on this board. I personally like to see it marked "LQS" or "JA" or "WM" so I know the quality as well as the price. The big advantage is that you don't have to pack it up and haul it to guild or the curb for your community sale. Just the post office!
Old 05-21-2016, 06:31 PM

I live near Kansas City and a recent article in paper was about a family that when their mother died, she left 1,500yd of fabric! So they rented a store front (plan to sell other items once sewing stuff cleared out) and are selling it at $2/yd.
That seems to be the going rate around here at estate and garage sales too
Old 05-22-2016, 03:27 AM

you could sell the pieces individually or you could make up bundles of coordinating fabric and sell those (like FQ bundles), if you don't want to fiddle with and price each and every single piece. Just a thought.
Old 05-22-2016, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
a lot of people sell here. take a picture and show them on the for sale items. people seem to do well with it.
actually, doesn't seem like a lot of "action" on for sale thread here...
Old 05-22-2016, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
I live near Kansas City and a recent article in paper was about a family that when their mother died, she left 1,500yd of fabric! So they rented a store front (plan to sell other items once sewing stuff cleared out) and are selling it at $2/yd.
That seems to be the going rate around here at estate and garage sales too
Here too, except, yesterday, went to goodwill...saw 1 yd. of kerchief print...$6.99! Prices there seem to be getting higher......but the parking lot is always almost full.....
Old 05-22-2016, 06:27 AM

Weird question, why don't you sell it by the pound? Then you won't have to worry about size of fabrics or the cutting of fabrics. You could always weigh a yard and give an equivalent price per yard of what a pound of fabric is worth.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:27 AM

I think selling locally would be less hassle than shipping the purchases. Since $4 and $2 have been mentioned perhaps split the difference and do $3 per yard. Guild members will probably make a big dent in your stash and then once it is at the community sale start at $3 and then go down lower midday.