Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question on sewing over paper >

Question on sewing over paper

Question on sewing over paper

Old 12-22-2009, 10:58 AM

I have had good luck with just regular printer paper. A couple of years ago I designed a complicated spiral to use in a snail's trail quilt. I took it to a copier and had enough copies made to do the whole quilt. The trick was, I wadded the paper up really tightly, smoothed it out and did that again. It broke the paper down enough to make it easily removed after quilting and wetting it.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by 3Gquilter
The trick was, I wadded the paper up really tightly, smoothed it out and did that again. It broke the paper down enough to make it easily removed after quilting and wetting it.
I never would have thought of that but it makes sense. Oh the things I learn on this forum.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:09 AM

Lots of great ideas!!! I have not tried anything with paper so far, just normal cut and sew. Maybe I will get adventurous some day....and now I have plenty of tips to do so! Thanks ladies.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Loretta
Thanks for the info- Klue- where did you by that type?
i typically buy the golden threads paper & sulky super solvy from from jhittles online.

its a mom/pop type operation that has some really great prices, the service is awesome, and they are both as sweet as a peach - whenever i can i order from them.

every now and again they have a special that if you phone in your order they send you a surprise goodie bag with the order.

the last time i did this, i got 2 packages of machine needles, 2 packages of hand quilting needles, fusible velcro, a nice seam ripper, etc.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by 3Gquilter
I have had good luck with just regular printer paper. A couple of years ago I designed a complicated spiral to use in a snail's trail quilt. I took it to a copier and had enough copies made to do the whole quilt. The trick was, I wadded the paper up really tightly, smoothed it out and did that again. It broke the paper down enough to make it easily removed after quilting and wetting it.
Alrighty then, I will try this first. I already have my pattern drawn out on regular printer paper. I have a couple of test patterns that didn't make the cut, so I will make a little quilt sandwich and give it a test drive.

Thanks to everyone for all the wonderful tips!